Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has your dog ever swam?

1. Senior Member

has your dog ever swam?

Advertisements
    ha, kind of a weird question... but it occurred to me the other day that neither of my dogs have ever swam before and it's really because there's never really been an opportunity to... I never realized how hard it would be to find a reason to have your dog swim

when they were younger and we'd go camping there would be little streams and i'd walk them in it... but it'd be like 6 inches to a foot deep... can't swim in that!

took them to this lake a few times (not really too abundant in either place we lived with them) and it was not really a beach, stone and pebbles... plus the floor of the lake was muddy so we didn't swim, but we let the dogs play fetch in it on a long leash... so they got very wet... but you have to go deeper to swim... they really just ran in it.

we have a kiddie pool for them... they are big dogs so it's not deep enough to swim...

we even took them to the ocean once since living here but dogs are only allowed on most beaches during off peak season and so it wasn't warm enough for us to swim either so we just walked them on it and they'd go slightly out in it, but not enough to swim!

when I realized this... I started looking up pools in the area that were made for dogs... I feel like I have heard of that before... and yes, there are places around the country that are dog pools (how cool is that?)... but apparently here it's not so simple all of the places I found were for rehab type places, like hydrotherapy and dogs needing to exercise without putting pressure on their joints etc. bummer! I think it'd be so fun to take them swimming!

I guess the next best thing would be to have a friend who owns a pool (which we don't) or live in a place that has lots of lakes (which we don't)

boooooooooooo!! so it's almost to the point where I wonder if my dogs can even swim at all since I've never seen them do it do any of your pups swim regularly, and if so by what source? do you have a doggie public pool near you (if so i'm totally jealous...)?
  2. Senior Member
    he's swam a bunch of times. We used to take him to the beach pretty much every weekend in Hawaii except for when the waves were too high, he's been in my grandparents pool, and once we took him to a dog park and he jumped in the lake with the other dogs. He loves swimming.
  3. Senior Member
    He's been in the ocean. He loathes getting anything above his neck wet. Otherwise, he's fine.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  4. verabot89
    verabot89
    Vera has but she doesn't like it much. She swims frantically back to the shore She is a whimp. I've even waded with her, supporting her belly as she swims and she freaks out. What a big baby.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    NO. She wouldn't know what to do if we threw her in a body of water.
  6. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    No, I'm too scared to let her go out and Corey is just a chicken My pittie wants to swim so bad but I just can't bring myself to let her go out in the water! I'm afraid she's going to get stuck out there or something. When we go to the beach she tries to go out but I'm scared the waves will knock her over She does enjoy jumping in giant mud puddles and creating a scene

7. Senior Member
    our family dog is a hunting dog, he loves the water! Warm, hot, cold, freezing! He doesn't care, he'll go run in it and play
    " u know those things that are like candy canes that taste like christmas in ur mouth what are those called?" " umm candy canes?" "Yeahhhh" R.I.P Christian

907Kim is my wifey
  8. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    He's been in the ocean. He loathes getting anything above his neck wet. Otherwise, he's fine.
    How does he get in and out of the water with the waves? That's what worries me about letting my dog go in the ocean

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    No, I'm too scared to let her go out and Corey is just a chicken My pittie wants to swim so bad but I just can't bring myself to let her go out in the water! I'm afraid she's going to get stuck out there or something. When we go to the beach she tries to go out but I'm scared the waves will knock her over She does enjoy jumping in giant mud puddles and creating a scene
    you should look to see if there are dog pools in your area! then your pit can swim and you don't have to worry about him getting lost at sea

i'd be worried about that too, which is why I didn't let them off their leashes the times we were at a body of water and I couldn't go in with them.

I feel like my dogs are missing out by having never swam!
  10. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    No, she only recently got to go in a lake but she didn't go deep enough to do any swimming. Just splashed around a lot.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast