Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horse in Our Family

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Horse in Our Family

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever had or known someone who had a horse while in the military? Horses are my life and my biggest fear is having to stop showing them bc V is in the army.
  2. Senior Member
    I've known a few people, but all of them ended up selling their horses or leaving them somewhere in the care of friends or family. I know that's not what you want to hear though. But moving them can be expensive (or impossible if you go overseas) and if you end up in an expensive city without much in the way of boarding, you might spend a fortune on fees and still have them an hour away from you.

There are a few people here who own horses though. Does your SO plan on staying in for 20+, or doing one term and then getting out. For a shorter time, you might be able to make it work because there will be fewer moves.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He is hoping for 20yrs. I figured as much on the expenses and luck has it that my parents would keep them for me.I just don't like the idea of stopping what I love because of his choice to enlist.
  4. I'm coming home to you
    I'm coming home to you
    Quote Originally Posted by KayleeMoe View Post
    He is hoping for 20yrs. I figured as much on the expenses and luck has it that my parents would keep them for me.I just don't like the idea of stopping what I love because of his choice to enlist.
    It wasn't a mutual choice?
  5. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Moving and finding quality boarding stables/vets are the most difficult parts, but it is definitely doable.
  6. Senior Member
    Absolutely possible, unless you move overseas. Even then though, its possible but very expensive. There is also the leasing route.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    It is mutual. My only worry was about my horse and dog. I'm completely supportive!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It's possible - but requires even more of a solid "Plan B" (and possibly C) for the possible orders, moves, etc that may come along.
    I just re-read the OP and see you say you worry about having to give up "showing" - are you looking to own or just to show? A lease situation may be the best option for you for the duration of your military time - plenty of people lease to show.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    The horse I have I personally did all training on and refuse to sell her. I know my parents would take her in worst case scenario. Though I have thought about leasing.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    With a solid Plan B in the form of your parents I would move forward and just know that you will need to reach out and find some good facilities at each not duty station, using the fall-back if need be (ie OCONUS orders, to hold out while looking for a good facility at a duty station, etc). Have you and your SO discussed the budget you will be living on once you are living together? Is there room for paying boarding costs on his pay alone. You may intend to work, I would encourage it with such an added expense, but that does not mean you will always have an easy time of finding a job at each duty station - so it's best to be sure of being able to get by with just his pay.
    Or, you can approach your parents now and arrange to have your horse stay with them from the start and then pick up opportunities at each duty station via show barns with leases available.
    How does your horse handle changes such as big moves, change of barns, etc? With something like this you have to consider whether keeping the horse is better for you or for the horse. I fully understand wanting to keep your horse with you, but it may come down to your happiness over the horse's and, for me, the horse always wins in a situation like that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast