Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My molliie had a baby

1. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin

My molliie had a baby

Advertisements
    So I was getting ready to turn my tank off for the night and I see a little orange thing flash in the corner. I have a baby orange mollie! I had no clue I had a preggo fish. There's only one but how exciting. I didn't realize that mollies had live birth.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  2. Banned
    Banned

At birth are they around the size of guppies or larger?

Will you separate him/her?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Livebearers are a fun bunch! You may find you have more than one - they hide pretty well at first and start becoming more visible as they grow and get bolder/feel less likely to be taken as a snack by mom and company Do you have male fish in the tank? Even if not, you may still have more broods of fry to come as female livebearers can deliver multiple broods from one mating by storing packets of sperm.
  4. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Aww
  5. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post

Livebearers are a fun bunch! You may find you have more than one - they hide pretty well at first and start becoming more visible as they grow and get bolder/feel less likely to be taken as a snack by mom and company Do you have male fish in the tank? Even if not, you may still have more broods of fry to come as female livebearers can deliver multiple broods from one mating by storing packets of sperm.
    You are so knowledgeable!!
  6. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I haven't moved anyone and I think the baby is big enough to survive. I see it eat the flake that gets down towards the bottom of the tank. I've noticed one of the mollies hanging out in the corner behind a plant. It's weird because it hovers tail down. Is that a sign that it's getting ready to have more?

I moved my angels to their own tank and haven't had any more spawning since I did that. I think I stressed them out. I was going to move them back to the big tank and put the smaller fish in the small tank but then I found the mollie baby so I'm not sure I want to do that.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
    I haven't moved anyone and I think the baby is big enough to survive. I see it eat the flake that gets down towards the bottom of the tank. I've noticed one of the mollies hanging out in the corner behind a plant. It's weird because it hovers tail down. Is that a sign that it's getting ready to have more?

I moved my angels to their own tank and haven't had any more spawning since I did that. I think I stressed them out. I was going to move them back to the big tank and put the smaller fish in the small tank but then I found the mollie baby so I'm not sure I want to do that.
    What size are both tanks again? What's the mix (numbers and species) on the fish that you have between the two tanks?
    Female livebearers are a funny bunch, some do seem to "labor" and others swim around the tank with fry falling out now and then and don't seem to give it a second thought. The hovering with tail up or tail down is pretty standard for most of my females that seem to realize what is going on. Their "vent" area will also look very squared during that time.