Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Brats (and walking advice)

1. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

The Brats (and walking advice)

Advertisements

I was brave and attempted to take both dogs for a walk by myself

It actually went really well with Apollo. I bought him a prong collar and it worked like MAGIC. I popped it like twice and he walked like a champ.

Lucy, on the other hand, is STILL a terror to walk. It's horrible. She walks fantastic until we see ANYONE/ANYTHING and then she goes Cujo-esque. Barking, growling, lunging...she's not being mean/aggressive. I have been trying everything. I've worked with a private trainer multiple occasions and it's just not getting better. I HATE taking her for walks (I still do, doing what the trainer said)...but I dread seeing people coming towards us. It's embarrassing and she's a total terror. She just keeps pulling and barking and she just keeps going and ends up whining because her collar is pulling so bad, but she just keeps going and it doesn't even phase her.

I'm at my wits end with her.

Side note, let's see your fur kiddos too.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When she has worked with the trainer does she show improvement in her reactivity? First thought as I read your post is you saying you "dread seeing people coming" - there is a very good chance that you are anticipating her reaction and, in turn, feeding the reaction. It actually reads like you anticipate the issue even before you see other people, just at the thought of taking her for a walk. That energy runs right down the leash and she leaves the house already ready to react - sound about right?
  3. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    When she has worked with the trainer does she show improvement in her reactivity? First thought as I read your post is you saying you "dread seeing people coming" - there is a very good chance that you are anticipating her reaction and, in turn, feeding the reaction. It actually reads like you anticipate the issue even before you see other people, just at the thought of taking her for a walk. That energy runs right down the leash and she leaves the house already ready to react - sound about right?
    It does and honestly, I can tell a difference when we first leave and I'm optimistic, and once she's chaotic a few times, I tense up a little more. I don't know what else to do though. I SWEAR by all that is holy, I have been trying SO hard not to tense up because that's exactly what the trainer says, but I don't know what else to do.

I've tried so hard, .

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Does she walk on a collar or an easy leader? Rumple walks much much better on his easy leader. He chokes himself lunging at things on his collar and on the easy leader he's so close that the lease has slack to it.
  5. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I really don't know what else to do. I've been trying to calm myself down, and the first few times tonight, she did a lot better when we passed some people. I think Apollo helped a bit, but then it just got worse and worse. Sometimes I could calm her down. Sometimes I couldn't. I am really really working on calming my nerves, not twisting the leash/tightening it...but even when I KNOW I'm not tense, she's still nutso. She does it with DF too and the trainer too, until she works with her for awhile and THEN she calms down once she gets more tired.

A lot of it is energy too. I've been walking her daily again, but I don't think it's enough. I am currently looking into obedience courses for us to start to see if that helps too.

6. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    I have you tried a step in harness for her? They are so much easier to control on the harness. I could not walk my two dogs together until i hooked them up in harnesses.
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  7. Senior Member
    Can you try maybe walking in areas where there are less people, or different times? I mean, obviously that is just a temporary fix, but you could work on her walking skills with less distraction then work up to walking where there are more people.

Are you using a choke chain for her training? Or just for your other dog? (Can't tell from the picture)
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  8. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    Try a harness? More control and to make her not pull so hard on her neck. Or I use the GentleLeader with Dodger (my Pit) and it works WONDERS with his pulling! (pronged collars are a joke with his neck... he acts as though its a normal collar. haha) As for not liking people that you approach or that approach you guys, the GentleLeader may help with that too because when they pull it brings their nose down so that they cant see where they are pulling and in order to see whats ahead of them (which the like to do lol) they will stop pulling. This will also draw their attention away from the approaching person. Its also more of an attention getter when you lightly correct with a GentleLeader because its around their nose.

My furr babies are having lazy time with me

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  9. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    Does she walk on a collar or an easy leader? Rumple walks much much better on his easy leader. He chokes himself lunging at things on his collar and on the easy leader he's so close that the lease has slack to it.
    It's a pronged collar...not sure which one the easy leader is.

Quote Originally Posted by eelizah View Post
    I have you tried a step in harness for her? They are so much easier to control on the harness. I could not walk my two dogs together until i hooked them up in harnesses.
    I haven't tried the harness...she's better than she used to be (which is hard to believe ). I'll have to look into that

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Can you try maybe walking in areas where there are less people, or different times? I mean, obviously that is just a temporary fix, but you could work on her walking skills with less distraction then work up to walking where there are more people.

Are you using a choke chain for her training? Or just for your other dog? (Can't tell from the picture)
    I did that for awhile, but that doesn't help. The only times I can walk her is after work, when everybody else can be out and about too. And she walks awesome, until there are distractions.

And I'm using a pronged collar. I'm looking at ordering her one of the backpacks and plan on adding weight to work her harder too.

I swear I'm not trying to make excuses and AM looking for more ideas. Please keep offering suggestions!

10. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loved&Loving View Post
    Try a harness? More control and to make her not pull so hard on her neck. Or I use the GentleLeader with Dodger (my Pit) and it works WONDERS with his pulling! (pronged collars are a joke with his neck... he acts as though its a normal collar. haha) As for not liking people that you approach or that approach you guys, the GentleLeader may help with that too because when they pull it brings their nose down so that they cant see where they are pulling and in order to see whats ahead of them (which the like to do lol) they will stop pulling. This will also draw their attention away from the approaching person. Its also more of an attention getter when you lightly correct with a GentleLeader because its around their nose.

My furr babies are having lazy time with me
    Could you possibly show me a picture of one of your pets with it on? That sounds like something I will have to try; I think I tried it once (if it's the one that goes around their nose and their head?) and it kept coming off, so I don't know if I didn't have it on right or what I did wrong. AND the collar with her neck, 90% of the time...doesn't phase her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast