Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In home euthanization?

1. Banned
    Banned

In home euthanization?

Advertisements
    My Golden Retriever has cancer and I think it's time I would love to have it done at home, where she's comfortable and happy, and where her brother is! They are so close.

Has anyone had their pet euthanized at home? Pros and cons? Do you think it's a good idea for the other pet to be present? They are attached at the hip, and having her gone will be SO hard on him. My heart is completely broken, it's the worst decision ever, but I am trying really hard to not be selfish and do what's best for HER. I have been waiting for signs...and she is giving me that look...
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think the only con would be moving her after its finished. A golden is a pretty big dog. I'm really sorry that you're going through this I think that it's wonderful that you're trying to do it at home and with your other dog there.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I think they are great. Please let me know if you want to know nitty gritty details for logistical purposes, I dont necessarily want to say anything too graphic in case you arent mentally up to it.

As for the other dog, I wouldnt let the dog watch, but once its over let the dog come in and sniff the dog so s/he knows whats going on.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I think they are great. Please let me know if you want to know nitty gritty details for logistical purposes, I dont necessarily want to say anything too graphic in case you arent mentally up to it.

As for the other dog, I wouldnt let the dog watch, but once its over let the dog come in and sniff the dog so s/he knows whats going on.
    I will pm you.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I did not have an inhome one done. But we were present when my cat was put down, and we brought him home for burial. I allowed my dog to sniff the cat as I held him. It felt normal and natural to allow our dog to know what happened to the cat, so he didn't just "disappear".
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

and
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think an in home would be the way to go personally. I would hate to leave the house and just never come back my dogs brother or sister
  8. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I know you're trying to do the right thing for your girl... I'm sorry you have to be in pain to do it.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  9. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    We let our Velvet kitty pass at home and then took her to the vet for cremation. I did take her in another room to let her sister smell her and say good-bye.

I am sorry you are facing this. I found great comfort in creating an online memorial at critters.com. (It's free unless you want to keep it online permanently.)
  10. Studying my life away.
    Studying my life away.
    I agree with everyone basically. The other animal getting to come in and sniff her. When I put my horse down he had been in the hospital for a week, and for a month is brother paced the fence line looking for him and winnying every ten minutes, it broke my heart. Even other horses didn't ease his pain. I think if he would have gotten to see him gone that would have made it easier on him.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast