Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Training

  1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    AmandaA's Avatar
    AmandaA is offline
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,822
    Blog Entries
    15
    #1

    Training

    Advertisements
    Lady has picked up on my morning routine and when she started getting anxious and antsy when she realized I was going to work I just started distracting her with doing some training. So we now have down sit, down, stay, come, over (she goes on her back), and shake. She already had a basic idea of all of those but over and shake, and she got those down in a few days. So now we need something new.

    She's very treat based and then we wean off the treats to be able to do it on command. I tried a prong collar, she ignored it, so we're not using that for training unless we're outside.

    What do you guys suggest?
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    *IGrow'EmXL*'s Avatar
    *IGrow'EmXL* is offline
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    36,179
    #2
    I did a little spin off of "shake" with my dogs. I would put a treat in my hand and then put it behind my back and hide in it my hands (I'd make a ball). Then I'd put it in front of them and tell them to pick. 99% of the time they'd pick (with their paw or sometimes nose) the one with the treat and I'd open my hand and either give it to them or, if they picked the wrong one, I'd say again, and they'd try the other hand.

    I also taught our male how to turn the lights on/off for us (we had a light switch). (Not sure how big lady is or if that's even a possibility ).


  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #3
    What does she do when you're at work, like do you crate her? If you do what works best for me is to get them crated before I start my routine and they get all nervous. The dogs know the command to go in their crates so I get them to put themselves to bed, lots of snuggles and a high value treat for going in, then I finish my work routine so that way they don't have a chance to get themselves all stirred up kwim?
  4. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mrs.Mermaid.'s Avatar
    Mrs.Mermaid. is offline
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    31,071

    #4
    I taught one of my dogs how to high five I also taught him how to shake and high five with the other paw as well. He can also sit up like a pretty boy. We taught him how to deal with a treat on his nose as well.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #5
    My dogs favorite game is "Sniff" I put tiny bits of broken treats around a room and tell them to "sniff". I got the idea from a friend at the shelter I was working at who was actually starting to train her dog as a search dog But, my dogs are very non destructive and respectful of property that isn't theirs, so I can "hide" a treat on my flip flop, they find it during "sniff" but it doesn't make them think "oh now I can go chew up that sandal"...so I would just watch out for that if you try the game. I mean, and if you're worried about that, I leave the out in the open too, like on a ledge, or the bottom rung of a chair, etc..

    ETA: It is hilarious because they immediately start sniffing really hard like I've made them a line of coke or something, they seriously love it
  6. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    AmandaA's Avatar
    AmandaA is offline
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,822
    Blog Entries
    15
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    What does she do when you're at work, like do you crate her? If you do what works best for me is to get them crated before I start my routine and they get all nervous. The dogs know the command to go in their crates so I get them to put themselves to bed, lots of snuggles and a high value treat for going in, then I finish my work routine so that way they don't have a chance to get themselves all stirred up kwim?
    When I'm gone DB is asleep so she chills on the couch and is out of the crate. She doesn't get crated till he goes to work about an hour before I'm home. She's come to know that when I'm putting my socks on and putting stuff in my bag that I'm going to be leaving soon. So I just started doing that earlier one day and put her through her paces with sit, down, and stay. She loved it and now by the time I leave she's content with one of her toys or DB is playing with her. She's fine with me leaving if she goes in her crate, but we didn't want her crated all day if she'd behave.
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    AmandaA's Avatar
    AmandaA is offline
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,822
    Blog Entries
    15
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    My dogs favorite game is "Sniff" I put tiny bits of broken treats around a room and tell them to "sniff". I got the idea from a friend at the shelter I was working at who was actually starting to train her dog as a search dog But, my dogs are very non destructive and respectful of property that isn't theirs, so I can "hide" a treat on my flip flop, they find it during "sniff" but it doesn't make them think "oh now I can go chew up that sandal"...so I would just watch out for that if you try the game. I mean, and if you're worried about that, I leave the out in the open too, like on a ledge, or the bottom rung of a chair, etc..

    ETA: It is hilarious because they immediately start sniffing really hard like I've made them a line of coke or something, they seriously love it
    How did you train that?
  8. Senior Member
    kaaau's Avatar
    kaaau is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,818
    #8
    Our friend taught his dog that his cap/hat was "leave" and then always place his cap in the same place so the dog knew where it was. Then when friends would come over he would say "Buddy, this house isn't big enough for the both of us. One of us is going to have to "leave" (stressing the word leave slightly). Then Buddy would would leave the room. The first time he showed us we laughed and said it was cute how Buddy left the room. But a few seconds after that Buddy came back in carrying our friend's cap and dropped it into his lap. It was the greatest fun!
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  9. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    AmandaA's Avatar
    AmandaA is offline
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,822
    Blog Entries
    15
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooBot! View Post
    I taught one of my dogs how to high five I also taught him how to shake and high five with the other paw as well. He can also sit up like a pretty boy. We taught him how to deal with a treat on his nose as well.
    I love my dog but she is far too food oriented for a treat on her nose.
  10. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    AmandaA's Avatar
    AmandaA is offline
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    9,822
    Blog Entries
    15
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Our friend taught his dog that his cap/hat was "leave" and then always place his cap in the same place so the dog knew where it was. Then when friends would come over he would say "Buddy, this house isn't big enough for the both of us. One of us is going to have to "leave" (stressing the word leave slightly). Then Buddy would would leave the room. The first time he showed us we laughed and said it was cute how Buddy left the room. But a few seconds after that Buddy came back in carrying our friend's cap and dropped it into his lap. It was the greatest fun!
    That's cute!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •