Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Leg/Shoulder Injury?

1. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..

Leg/Shoulder Injury?

Advertisements
    Addie for the past year has been getting sore. We noticed this about fall time or when she was outside running all day with our other dog Cash she would limp. We would then keep her inside (as long as my dad didnt decide to go against my orders of keeping her inside or on the leash outside) and it clears up. This morning she struggled to get out of bed but was able too, she stretched, and then limped. I noticed today for whatever reason was going to be a sore day. She hasnt been running free outside lately so my concern its not an overuse injury has grown. Im worried. Ill be taking her into the vet in the morning. My mom said she has been really sore all day and usually she is able to stretch it out and its fine but today not the case.
    Shes snuggling with me on the bed. When I got home she leaned to her side and kept her right leg straight and stiff as a bored. She will let me touch it and doesnt jerk it away so it appears no pain response. She tried to roll over and didnt really use her right leg. Is there anything I can do tonight like a heating pad or something? While shes not whimpering or anything everything is normal except her leg is stiff and shes favoring her left. it reminds me like when Naomi got Wobblers Disease. Addie is only 2 years old so she should not be having arthritic issues.
  2. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    First off My dog was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 2 and it was heart breaking for me. He started slowing down, limping, having a hard time getting up and down etc. I know you say it's her shoulder/leg area, but joints and bones all the same. I have been fortunate to have great Vets who have worked with me on pain management. We started him on rymadil, then a few others that I can recall the name and now he is on Carprofen daily. A few tips my first vet told me was to keep him a bit on the thinner side (less weight for his joints to carry), always have soft things for him to lay on (beds, blankets etc) and find a good pain management system that works for him. For Lex it is a combo of medication and joint specific exercise. We do a lot of swimming and what I call calm walking - no running, hills, stairs, stuff like that. I have become quite obsessed with keeping him comfortable for the last 4 years so if you have any questions or just wanna talk please feel free to pm me.

That being said. Was she injured in that area? I don't recall reading anything about that so I figured I would ask.

ETA- I just read that you wanted a suggestion for tonight. When ever Lex had a particularly bad day I would gently massage the affected area and just cuddle with him. I have been told by my vet I can give him the low dose aspirin if I have nothing else on hand but I don't feel comfortable telling you to do that without knowing the whole history of the dog and if she is currently taking any medications
  3. The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    First off My dog was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 2 and it was heart breaking for me. He started slowing down, limping, having a hard time getting up and down etc. I know you say it's her shoulder/leg area, but joints and bones all the same. I have been fortunate to have great Vets who have worked with me on pain management. We started him on rymadil, then a few others that I can recall the name and now he is on Carprofen daily. A few tips my first vet told me was to keep him a bit on the thinner side (less weight for his joints to carry), always have soft things for him to lay on (beds, blankets etc) and find a good pain management system that works for him. For Lex it is a combo of medication and joint specific exercise. We do a lot of swimming and what I call calm walking - no running, hills, stairs, stuff like that. I have become quite obsessed with keeping him comfortable for the last 4 years so if you have any questions or just wanna talk please feel free to pm me.

That being said. Was she injured in that area? I don't recall reading anything about that so I figured I would ask.

ETA- I just read that you wanted a suggestion for tonight. When ever Lex had a particularly bad day I would gently massage the affected area and just cuddle with him. I have been told by my vet I can give him the low dose aspirin if I have nothing else on hand but I don't feel comfortable telling you to do that without knowing the whole history of the dog and if she is currently taking any medications
    Thats what Im worried of, she would be our first Shepherd to have Hip Dysplasia and after losing our Dobie to her Genetic Disorder to lose another just sucks. But more is known about hip dysplasia and treatments than Wobblers. The other thing Im nervous about is the vet we take Addie too is the cheaper vet but if we get her in and she says it is something chronic I could always take her to our more expensive vet who has more experience but we'll see. I got her to go outside for a bit and walk around and it helped a bit but she laid back down and is stiff again. Usually its her legs but sometimes her hips her left back one will be stiff

She's never had any injuries to her legs. Our male has been injured before but he bounced back without issue but she appears for no real reason to have pain. Its not broken so it has to do with the joint or muscle. Right now she's laying in bed with me shes sleeping on her sore side which is an improvement, she's very much enjoyed the extra attention from my parents Ill avoid the aspirin until the vet says so, it makes me nervous too. I just wish I had answers tonight about whats going on. Ill find out in the morning I guess.
  4. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Hey how did it go?
  5. The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    Hey how did it go?
    She said there was not any "deep bone pain" which meant it didn't flag her for Cancer, Fracture, or something else that I cannot pronounce. She asked if I wanted an xray and I asked what it could show us and she said Cancer, Fracture, or the something else I cannot pronounce. I asked if it could be a muscle injury and she said that she would give me anti-inflamatories and if it improves great but if it doesn't to come back for an xray. She couldnt say what was wrong. I mentioned her hip act up and we agreed to schedule the xray on each hip $70 each which isnt bad, but she will need to be sedated because she does -not- like new/strange people touching her without her warming up to them first.

So I gave her the anti-inflamatory and she's on use restrictions which means no jumping, stairs, or running. But while she is still limping she's more energetic than shes been before the anti inflamatory. So we'll see where it goes, its just going to be a time thing and I hate waiting :p
  6. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    I hear ya! Waiting is hard, especially when it's something like this. I really hope she takes well to the anti inflammatory. I have had radiographs done on Lex's hips once a year just to keep up with his progression. I'm sure the Vet told you but watch for upset stomach with the meds, Lex always gets a bit ill when he starts something new. And please let me know how she does and if you decide to get rads done on her hips.
  7. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    I hope both your pooches feel better soon.

Consequin is a good joint supplement. Ask your Vet if it's safe for your pooch to get on it.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3036360
  8. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by shape shifter View Post
    I hope both your pooches feel better soon.

Consequin is a good joint supplement. Ask your Vet if it's safe for your pooch to get on it.

Cosequin for Dogs Cosequin Maximum Strength Hip & Joint Supplements | PetSmart
    Yup, totally agree with this. We are currently using something else but this is an excellent supplement.
  9. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Both my pups are prone to joint and hip problems and Consequin is helping a lot. We started them early on joint supplements and we noticed improvements in both of them. I am also giving them Fish Oil supplements at the Vet's advice. It helps with their shedding and skin health.