Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heartworm preventative

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Heartworm preventative

Advertisements
    Back in Idaho, the vet told us that heartworm was not an issue, and we never had to use anything. But here in Illinois, they say we need a heart worm preventative.

What the heck do we use? I know NOTHING about it. Help!!

We have a 5ish year old Basenji (pure bred) and a soon to be 9 week old pyr mix. Any suggestions would be appreciated
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    Back in Idaho, the vet told us that heartworm was not an issue, and we never had to use anything. But here in Illinois, they say we need a heart worm preventative.

What the heck do we use? I know NOTHING about it. Help!!

We have a 5ish year old Basenji (pure bred) and a soon to be 9 week old pyr mix. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Holy crap, that first vet is a fucking nutjob. Heartworm is everywhere that there is mosquitos...so pretty much everywhere.

We use heartguard but I know there are pills that you can use too. Vino should have some input. You have to get a blood test at the vet and a prescription for it though.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We always used Heartguard.

I Eelizah
  4. Senior Member
    I currently use heartguard pills with my dogs, they get it monthly. Zeus actually got the heartworm shot back in the states, but they don't have it here in Germany so starting April 1st he gets the pills again.

It does go by weight, but your vet should be able to give you what your dogs needs.

5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    You will need to go to the vet to have them tested for heartworm before you pick up heartworm meds. Yes, you can buy them over the counter, but if your dog already has heartworm, putting them on heartworm preventative meds will do dick. You will need to give it all 12 months, yes, even in the winter, due to the life cycle of the worm and the way the drug kills the worm. There are a number of different heartworm pills:

Heartgard- Great. Classic. Kills heartworm, rounds and hooks. Rounds are only applicable to puppies, but any age animal can get hooks (rounds and hooks are intestinal parasites that they get from walking around outside). There are plus versions of this that kill more things. No not use in collies or herding dogs. Basically white feet- dont treat. This is due to the drug type (ivermectin) and a genetic mutation in those kinds of dogs.

Revolution- topical- kills heartworms, ticks, fleas, rounds and hooks. No not use in collies or herding dogs. Basically white feet- dont treat. This is due to the drug type (ivermectin) and a genetic mutation in those kinds of dogs.

Triflexis- a newer drug. A pill. Really good results with this (equal to other drugs) but we like it cuz its a pill so you dont have to avoid toughing your pets back, so its nice when kids are in the home. Trifexis is a chewable tablet that kills fleas and prevents infestations, protects against heartworms, and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm infections. Trifexis requires a prescription from your veterinarian.

Advantage multi- hrtworm, fleas, hooks rounds and whips

Sentinel- another pill. Works great for heartworms, fleas, rounds, hooks and whips
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    You will need to go to the vet to have them tested for heartworm before you pick up heartworm meds. Yes, you can buy them over the counter, but if your dog already has heartworm, putting them on heartworm preventative meds will do dick. You will need to give it all 12 months, yes, even in the winter, due to the life cycle of the worm and the way the drug kills the worm. There are a number of different heartworm pills:

Heartgard- Great. Classic. Kills heartworm, rounds and hooks. Rounds are only applicable to puppies, but any age animal can get hooks (rounds and hooks are intestinal parasites that they get from walking around outside). There are plus versions of this that kill more things. No not use in collies or herding dogs. Basically white feet- dont treat. This is due to the drug type (ivermectin) and a genetic mutation in those kinds of dogs.

Revolution- topical- kills heartworms, ticks, fleas, rounds and hooks. No not use in collies or herding dogs. Basically white feet- dont treat. This is due to the drug type (ivermectin) and a genetic mutation in those kinds of dogs.

Triflexis- a newer drug. A pill. Really good results with this (equal to other drugs) but we like it cuz its a pill so you dont have to avoid toughing your pets back, so its nice when kids are in the home. Trifexis is a chewable tablet that kills fleas and prevents infestations, protects against heartworms, and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm infections. Trifexis requires a prescription from your veterinarian.

Advantage multi- hrtworm, fleas, hooks rounds and whips

Sentinel- another pill. Works great for heartworms, fleas, rounds, hooks and whips
    I've heard that one may be linked with some deaths. Do you know anything about that, Vino?

I Eelizah
  7. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

You're not supposed to give herding breeds heartguard?

Elliot is an Australian shepherd and we've had him on it. It's what the vet gave us. Is that bad?

8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I've heard that one may be linked with some deaths. Do you know anything about that, Vino?
    This often happens when new drugs come out. Peoples pets die and they freak out and blame the drug but really their dog already had teh cancer, or got some strange immune mediated disease that it was at risk for anyway. I just looked through the literature on VIN and they did a study (not the company that makes it, and independent) and found no increased risk of death. The two drugs that are in trifexis are ridiculously safe, even at toxic doses. Now, any dog can die from any medication, but that is true of ALL drugs in all species (even humans!) because we never know. I mean, a single asprin can kill some people, but that doesnt mean we stop using asprin, KWIM? The safety level of trifexis is super safe.

As a professor once said. I put on my socks. And then got cancer. That doesnt not mean the socks gave him cancer.
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by bajingo View Post
    You're not supposed to give herding breeds heartguard?

Elliot is an Australian shepherd and we've had him on it. It's what the vet gave us. Is that bad?
    Yes. Yes. Yes it is. Herding dogs have a mutation that allows teh drug into their brain at a higher level and puts them at risk for toxicosis. I would call your vet and ask them for a different kind- a kind that does not have ivermectin in it.
  10. Senior Member
    I give my dog Sentinel.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast