Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I'm scaring my puppy.

1. in love.
    in love.

Blush I'm scaring my puppy.

Advertisements
    I read that when they poo or pee in the correct area you are supposed to be overly excited and praise them. Practically throw a party. Even give them a treat or something. Well, with Charlie, my new puppy, he starts crying and runs away from me! LOL.

Maybe I should tone it down a little? I don't want him to think I'm yelling at him. All I do is get on my knees, pet his head and said and a cherry normal voice "Good boy Charlie! Good boy! Good job!" and he starts crying.

So should I just let him poo and let him be? Say good boy and stop? Tonight, all I did was get down again and say GOOD BOY! And he started crying and ran away again.
    hi.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Does he run away or get scared anytime you praise him, or is it only when it's praising him for using the bathroom?
  3. in love.
    in love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Does he run away or get scared anytime you praise him, or is it only when it's praising him for using the bathroom?
    JUST when he is done using the bathroom!
    hi.
  4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I would probably just calmly give him a treat then. I can't really come up with a reason why he would be doing that, but I would just realize it doesn't work and change the form of praise.

Also, best thing we ever did with my dogs was start from puppyhood with "hurry up, go pee!" Now they don't take forever to go to the bathroom. It's awesome. They seem to pick it up quick, too.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by missaubrey View Post
    JUST when he is done using the bathroom!
    How odd!

I agree with maybe giving him a treat only then ... perhaps he feels a bit vulnerable or something at his toilet. Poor guy lol. Or if you do something like clicker training and then follow with a high value treat, that way the clicker wouldn't startle him but he'd still get the reward for doing the right thing.
  6. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    How odd!

I agree with maybe giving him a treat only then ... perhaps he feels a bit vulnerable or something at his toilet. Poor guy lol. Or if you do something like clicker training and then follow with a high value treat, that way the clicker wouldn't startle him but he'd still get the reward for doing the right thing.
    I love clickers. My dog is really sound responsive, and I really want to get him started on clicker training.

You can train birds with clickers, too!
  7. Senior Member
    I have a submissive dog and she would pee every time I used an excited high pitch with her or went to pet her. I took her to a dog trainer and now she responds on command with no peeing. Try lowering your pitch and give a simple, "Good dog" followed by a treat. Present a calm appearance and stay away from any big movements.

Clickers are another solution. Good Luck
  8. Senior Member
    I would just give him the treat, and say good boy. Maybe he's anxious if you're getting in his face?

and I agree with Lindzerfufu, we taught both of our dogs the phrase "go potty". Now they know when they're outside if I say that it's time to go to the bathroom and not play. Its especially helpful since it's cold outside But doing that, and rewarding my dogs with a treat really helped.

9. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by missaubrey View Post
    I read that when they poo or pee in the correct area you are supposed to be overly excited and praise them. Practically throw a party. Even give them a treat or something. Well, with Charlie, my new puppy, he starts crying and runs away from me! LOL.

Maybe I should tone it down a little? I don't want him to think I'm yelling at him. All I do is get on my knees, pet his head and said and a cherry normal voice "Good boy Charlie! Good boy! Good job!" and he starts crying.

So should I just let him poo and let him be? Say good boy and stop? Tonight, all I did was get down again and say GOOD BOY! And he started crying and ran away again.
    Sorry, I just picture you jumping up and down screaming for joy and popping out streamers.