Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nail clippers/trimmer.

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Advertisements
    If you need help learning how to do it well, you can always go in during your next vet visit and ask them to show you with your clippers!
  2. Regular Member
    I prefer the scissor style, especially with the bigger dogs the guillotine ones if they are not kept sharp can pull at the nail and not cut it smoothly, causing pain and adversion to the process. For a small dog or small pet like a rabbit or guinea pig they are fine. I have a pair of Oster ones that I got pretty cheap at Walmart, they have held up well and stayed sharp. The last thing you want is to be trying to cut a dog that is wiggling all over the place with a pair of dull clippers.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have only ever had dogs express discomfort while using the guillotine style. I'm not talking about pain from being quicked, but just discomfort from the pressure as the nail is clipped. On giving it some thought, that made sense to me (and solidified my choice of clipper style) becuase if you look at the mechanics of the guillotine style and the pressure coming from above/below the nail and how that pressure would effect the nail as it is cut it stands to reason there would be a greater chance of discomfort than squeezing from the two sides. Top/bottom pressure would put a "spreading" or distorting force on the nail while side/side pressure works more with the natural structure of the nail itself (imo)
  4. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I dont have a dog here, but in every vet clinic I have ever worked at (and I have worked at 9 or 10) these are what are used:

Large Dog Nail Clipper (#767)

Guillotines have a higher chance of quicking the dog, while with those above you cut the dog where you dont see the quick (cut into the white, not the pink) or in black nails you cut until approx where the nail is the same level to the ground as the pad, and then you can shave off small slivers until the nail starts to flake off white, and then you know you are close to the quick.
    Yep these are what we used when I groomed does too, and I have a pair like this for my puppy too. Much safer to use for the pups..

Also, as far as the drimal for grinding the dogs nails. Do NOT buy the pet store ones they are WAY over priced. You can get he same sort of tool at wamart in the tool section for like $20-$30. Instead of paying the $70+ most petstores want for the "special pet dermal.s. " The ones at Walmart, Target, or wherever are the SAME EXACT thing, and they are much cheaper...

The ones from like Walmart or any supple store that sells tools(Lows, Homedpot extc.). Are actually the drimals most dog groomers I know of use. Since it's the same thing as the "doggy speically ones" and WAY cheaper normaly to get them at those places
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 03-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    Signature removed due to size.
  5. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    Also, as far as the drimal for grinding the dogs nails. Do NOT buy the pet store ones they are WAY over priced. You can get he same sort of tool at wamart in the tool section for like $20-$30. Instead of paying the $70+ most petstores want for the "special pet dermal.s. " The ones at Walmart, Target, or wherever are the SAME EXACT thing, and they are much cheaper...

The ones from like Walmart or any supple store that sells tools(Lows, Homedpot extc.). Are actually the drimals most dog groomers I know of use. Since it's the same thing as the "doggy speically ones" and WAY cheaper normaly to get them at those places
    Agree 100%. Bought mine at Home Depot since my mommy works there.
  6. Senior Member
    yep, I agree with the regular old dremel! I actually did buy the stupid Pedi Paws thing first, and realized it seriously takes like an hour for that stupid thing to actually trim their nails... not great for a puppy who doesn't like to sit still. now the dremel does the trick in no time flat!

for those that think that their pups would be too afraid of the sound, I have one dog with whom you can do anything to, and another dog who is nervous about everything; thunder, gun shots, low battery beeps from the smoke detectors... the list goes on... what I did was slowly desensitize him to the sound by conditioning him to it. I first would put it near him completely off and give him treats while doing so. then I would turn it on for several seconds and treat him (yes he was still very nervous for a while) and would do this every single day for like a week. then I would turn it on and put it very close to him and treat for a few days, then I would make him sit and turn it on and just lift and hold and rub his paw with one hand and hold the dremel near him with the other hand (but not trimming) to associate the sound with me holding his paw and getting treated all at the same time. eventually you can get to trimming!

you just have to be willing to give it some time before you actually get to use it for trimming, it can be done! i got him used to it for a good 2 weeks before I actually used it to trim. my pup still is a little nervous while trimming, but tolerates it now that he's conditioned. the secret is to treat a lot while trimming! i put a bunch in my pocket. and take a break after each paw and let them play, lots of praise! I also have him wear his thundershirt while I trim because it also calms his nerves.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We have a Dremel that I use. Julia's not a fan but Charlie, our lab, is okay with it. They both just sit there and take it. I prefer that only because I feel like I have more control over it. I once cut our family guinea pig's nail and got the quick and I felt so terrible after that so now I don't touch clippers anymore.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12