Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i must be a total idiot

1. Senior Member

i must be a total idiot

Advertisements
    but i dont understand how this kong thing is supposed to work. tank shows no interest in it when its empty. ive tried freezing it and everything, but he doesnt like chewing on it. PB makes his tummy hurt so i tried to put some of his kibble in there and freeze yogurt at the bottom, but he wouldnt lick the yogurt. so i thought maybe a little pb wouldnt upset his tummy too much, and i mixed his kibble in pb and put pb to clog the big hole at the bottom and let it sit in the freezer for a bit, but once he got done licking the pb, he couldnt figure out how to get the pb covered kibble out, and got frustrated and just started barking at it.

his kibble is seriously the smallest kibble ive ever seen, so theres no putting it in there with out something to stop up the hole at the bottom. and once the hole is un-clogged, all the kibble just tumbles out. i didnt think that was the point but maybe i just dont get it.

im trying to find things to mentally stimulate tank because when im at work he just sleeps, so hes crazy and full of energy when im home and his toys dont seem to be helping him much. tips, ideas, toy ideas, etc. help
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Some dogs just don't like the kongs. Mine prefer mouth sized/tennis ball sized ball toys that can have treats put inside and puzzles. Training treats work great for us when they're first getting used to the new toys.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Kongs aren't for every dog. You could try different fillings, though. Fill it with goody (peanut butter, "wet" food, etc) and, for longer lasting treat, freeze it before you give it to him. You can also use the peanut butter to "seal" the ends if you fill it with kibble.
    Floor/food puzzles would be another option if you want to use just straight kibble but keep him busy.
    Is he crated or loose while you are out?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Kongs aren't for every dog. You could try different fillings, though. Fill it with goody (peanut butter, "wet" food, etc) and, for longer lasting treat, freeze it before you give it to him. You can also use the peanut butter to "seal" the ends if you fill it with kibble.
    Floor/food puzzles would be another option if you want to use just straight kibble but keep him busy.
    Is he crated or loose while you are out?
    while im out hes crated. if he wasnt he would pee everywhere and tear stuff up. hes got anxiety and the only place that he stays calm when hes alone is his crate. but since he sleeps there all day, he needs something fun to do at night to burn some energy. and not drive me up a wall.

once i get back to CA he will go to doggy daycare while i work. so he can be on the agility course and running around with other dogs all day.
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

5. Senior Member
    You work your way up to the frozen Kongs. First, you start with them filled in a manner that makes it easy for them to get the stuff out. Then, you progress by making it harder and harder for them to get the stuff out. If you don't want to use peanut butter, you can use canned food or canned pumpkin.

My dog doesn't quite get it either - she thinks what she is suppose to do is throw the Kong on the ground and food will fall out. Yes, that does work, but I don't really like hearing it constantly being thrown on the hardwood floors. And freezing doesn't really work because eventually, throwing it on the floor will result in something falling out, reinforcing her idea of the game.
  6. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    kongs would be utterly pointless for my dog without peanut butter. that's all they do. hold peanut butter so i can see why it's not working so well for you.
    the only other thing my dog is remotely interested in inside a kong is chicken flavored ice cubes. i cram them in sideways so they don't fall out and he'll work on that for a while.

kong also makes these big rubber bones that have long holes in the sides, and treat things that fit in the holes. they last a pretty long time for a good chew. maybe try that?
  7. Man, Wife & Dog..Just the *3* of us<3
    Man, Wife & Dog..Just the *3* of us<3
    Does he have a favorite treat? I will break my pup's treats into pieces and put them in his Kong. It keeps him occupied for hours.lol
    Lucky in love with my Best Friend
  8. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    My dog is not a kong dog either... he was less interested in the treats and more interesting it ripping it to shreds... They need to make better indestructible toys lol The company that makes Kongs also makes a spray can kind of treat that you can coat the inside of the kong with. Or there are many floor puzzles that they have to maneuver in different ways to get treats out of them. My dog loves those... but again they are not best for dogs who like to try to rip things to shreds. (darn dog... if he wasnt so cute... )

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  9. Senior Member
    My dog is definitely not a kong dog either. He hates them; I swear this dog will chew anything, but he will not go anywhere near a kong lol. weirdo.
    just keep swimming
  10. Senior Member
    My dogs were not big traditional kong fans. Instead we've gotten them the kong braid toys and they like those, and this dog puzzle toy where we filled it with tiny treats and they had to figure out how to pull a rubber part of the toy to get the treats out. Our boy furbaby loves that toy. He's a big chewer, but for some reason, never really got into kongs. Our girl furbaby just ignores toys in general.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast