Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experts: why is he chasing his tail?

1. Senior Member

Experts: why is he chasing his tail?

Advertisements
    My dog has always chased his tail but he's been ridiculous with it lately. Like he basically never stops and he grabs his tail and tries to walk with it in his mouth. At first it was funny but now I'm wondering if something is wrong?

My grandparents said dogs chase their tails when they have worms, but he doesn't have a single other symptom of worms. I also read online that sometimes they chase their tail because it hurts, but he doesn't seem to be in pain at all..? He got neutered like three weeks ago, not sure if that might have anything to do with it. Google didn't return anything useful on that.

Should I make an appointment? Like what will the vet even do?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

How old is he and what kind of dog?

Some of the more neurotic breeds (for example border collies) can engage in behavior like tail chasing if they're understimulated. It's easy for dogs like that to get obsessive about something and sometimes it's their tail.

Also if he's a puppy (kind of sound like it since he got neutered?) sometimes puppies go through really weird stages in their development. Around 7-8 months is when a lot of odd things start to happen (potty training regression, randomly becoming scared of stuff, etc.) so if he's in that stage maybe that has something to do with it too?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post

Some of the more neurotic breeds (for example border collies) can engage in behavior like tail chasing if they're understimulated. It's easy for dogs like that to get obsessive about something and sometimes it's their tail.

Also if he's a puppy (kind of sound like it since he got neutered?) sometimes puppies go through really weird stages in their development. Around 7-8 months is when a lot of odd things start to happen (potty training regression, randomly becoming scared of stuff, etc.) so if he's in that stage maybe that has something to do with it too?
    He's a 20 month old golden retriever. He's always chased his tail, it's just weird that he's been doing it SO much lately. Usually he'll do it a few times a day and let it go once he catches it, but now he does it almost constantly. I don't think he's under stimulated, we have a really big yard he runs around in with our other dogs pretty much all day and my grandpa throws his balls/frisbees for him too.

I'm just worried he's hurt or there's a health issue and were all ignoring it like "lol look at him go!" You know?
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Because he realized the tail isn't actually his, but instead a replacement tail implanted by the evil cats!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post

I would just redirect him to something else to break his focus on what he's doing. It can be a perfectly harmless (even endearing) quirk, but those can also progress to a problem/compusion.
  6. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

My big dog does this sometimes too. It's sort of hilarious, but it makes him fall over so I usually distract him with a toy and then give hime lots of hugs and kisses when he focuses on the toy.

7. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    i tickle remmy's nose with his tail and go "what's that?! what is that?!?!" and then he chases it.
    he does it on his own sometimes. i think they just think it's a good ol time when they're bored.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorem_ipsum View Post
    i tickle remmy's nose with his tail and go "what's that?! what is that?!?!" and then he chases it.
    he does it on his own sometimes. i think they just think it's a good ol time when they're bored.
    Lolol we used to do that too when he was a baby. We always tell him to get his tail. I guess you're not supposed to do that because it can cause compulsive behaviors and if something is wrong you won't know, but its so cute!
  9. Senior Member
    Try redirecting every time he does it. Practice tricks with him or teach him a new one. Give him something else to think about in that moment, other than that fascinating and frustrating fuzzy thing sticking out of his backside.
    Last edited by villanelle; 03-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Scout does it, she's a border collie mix though. She just seems to think that it's fun and gives her something to do for a little bit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast