Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Picked up a hitchiker......

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Picked up a hitchiker......

Advertisements
    This little guy came home with unexpectedly/unintentionally a little over a week ago.....meet Sheldon

He's a little ghost shrimp that apparently got caught up in the net at the pet store when they were catching my clown loaches -- I didn't even notice him, it was DH who pointed him out when he was looking at the fish while they were still acclimating in their bags. No surprise the store employee or myself hadn't noticed him, he's about the size of a small paper clip and clear. The *gravel* he's standing on is pool filter sand for comparison's sake.
    I went ahead and dumped him into the tank and expected someone would have a nice snack but the little buggar is still there I thought the red-tail "shark" or the big clown would be his biggest threats, but he has shown zero fear of them and they are showing zero interest in making a meal of him. When I snapped this picture he was only about three inches from the sharks nose and had been swimming with the clown to get there His favorite thing to do is climb to the highest point of my largest wood feature in the tank and stand there like some sort of shrimp statue - it's like he's begging to get eaten

Now DH is trying to convince me I need to get him a little bunch of buddies - not exactly the direction I had planned to take the tank, but the idea is starting to grow on me because this little nut is a kick to watch.
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    He's a cutie! Don't ghost shrimp eat each other? I had a friend who kept buying more and more but could only ever find one in her tank
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

I think he is a cute little guy. Hope he sticks around for a while
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    He's a cutie! Don't ghost shrimp eat each other? I had a friend who kept buying more and more but could only ever find one in her tank
    They can/will be aggressive towards each other - but it is more of an issue in crowded situtations (ie more than one shrimp per gallon, though I would take issue with that formula as it has more to do with footprint of the tank than volume since they are bottom dwellers). For the most part they are just great scavengers/cleaners and if kept in a situation where they don't feel overcroweded and/or underfed aggression isn't such an issue. Honestly, if I were to take to the idea of shrimp I'll likely look at some different species as there are a lot of freshwater shrimp out there and many are a bit more to look at than the little ghosties.
  5. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

I kind of love him

6. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    I'm new at being a fish owner but he sounds like fun to watch!
  7. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    This little guy came home with unexpectedly/unintentionally a little over a week ago.....meet Sheldon

He's a little ghost shrimp that apparently got caught up in the net at the pet store when they were catching my clown loaches -- I didn't even notice him, it was DH who pointed him out when he was looking at the fish while they were still acclimating in their bags. No surprise the store employee or myself hadn't noticed him, he's about the size of a small paper clip and clear. The *gravel* he's standing on is pool filter sand for comparison's sake.
    I went ahead and dumped him into the tank and expected someone would have a nice snack but the little buggar is still there I thought the red-tail "shark" or the big clown would be his biggest threats, but he has shown zero fear of them and they are showing zero interest in making a meal of him. When I snapped this picture he was only about three inches from the sharks nose and had been swimming with the clown to get there His favorite thing to do is climb to the highest point of my largest wood feature in the tank and stand there like some sort of shrimp statue - it's like he's begging to get eaten

Now DH is trying to convince me I need to get him a little bunch of buddies - not exactly the direction I had planned to take the tank, but the idea is starting to grow on me because this little nut is a kick to watch.
    Bolded: Totally have this image in my head now...but in my head he's beating his chest like a proud gorilla