Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/O of all the puppy threads! New Ideas for GSD?

1. Senior Member

Big Grin S/O of all the puppy threads! New Ideas for GSD?

Advertisements
    The other threads about puppies got me thinking. DH and I have a 8 month old GSD, Jager, and we love him.

DH walks him in the morning before we leave for work. Jager gets a Kong and a bone during the day along with other toys and free reign of our basement when we are gone. When I get home from work I'll take him on a long walk and play fetch with him for awhile. There isn't a dog park nearby so that is out of the question. I wish there was though.

He likes to rip up toilet paper and paper towels, but that really doesn't bug me. However, the other day he ripped up the carpet on our stairs. I wonder if there was peanut butter on the stair or something because he has never ruined anything in the house before now.

He does get rewarded for tricks and good behavior and has not peed in the house in months.

You ladies have such great suggestions for pets, so I was wondering if there is anything else I can do during the day while DH and I are both at work to keep him occupied? I know he need mental stimulation and I want to do everything I can to make him happy and healthy. TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    I don't know much about GSD, but I'm personally an advocate of kennels, especially if there is destructive behavior.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    I don't know much about GSD, but I'm personally an advocate of kennels, especially if there is destructive behavior.
    We have a crate for him, but he has never been destructive before the step. I'm wondering if he was just messing around or something. I don't know if it was a one time thing or not...
  4. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    me too. Lucy started in the crate from day one. It'll always be a part of her life.
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Teach him tricks. Google advanced dog tricks, but some are:

Sit, stay, come, paw, other paw, both paws, high five, double high five, lay down, roll over, bang! (the command often used for play dead), dance, sit pretty, speak, growl, under arrest- anything you can think of!

You can see if you could do agility training- GSD work really well with that and its great mental stimulation.

Instead of feeding the dog in a bowl, use a feeder toy, for example: (however, please limit the amount of food you feed in a day because GSD can get fat fast, so monitor body weight vs how much you feed to make sure your dog stays healthy!)
    https://www.premier.com/store/Produc...x?cid=3&pid=34
    https://www.premier.com/store/Produc...x?cid=3&pid=75
    Amazon.com: StarMark Bob-A-Lot Interactive Pet Toy, Large: Pet Supplies
    Amazon.com: Nina Ottosson DogTwister Interactive game: Pet Supplies

The kong works super well if you put some peanut butter in there instead of treats and then freeze it for 4 hours so it lasts longer. Again, sont stuff it or you will get a fat dog.

Go get a cheapo laser and see if you dog is interested in chasing a laser for laser play.

And dog parks! They are your best friend!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My dogs went for the steps but it was just because it was a new texture to chew. If you catch him chewing on it tell him no or try bitter apple spray to keep him from wanting to chew it. If he gets away with it this time he'll keep testing his limits.
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Also as PP have said, crating is great, but I wouldnt necessarily jump to it. I think they are the BEST training tools, but once your dog is trained, I actually am an advocate of keeping dogs contained in a room or two, but loose- so long as they are trained and remain trained.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

Sit, stay, come, paw, other paw, both paws, high five, double high five, lay down, roll over, bang! (the command often used for play dead), dance, sit pretty, speak, growl, under arrest- anything you can think of!

You can see if you could do agility training- GSD work really well with that and its great mental stimulation.

Instead of feeding the dog in a bowl, use a feeder toy, for example: (however, please limit the amount of food you feed in a day because GSD can get fat fast, so monitor body weight vs how much you feed to make sure your dog stays healthy!)

The kong works super well if you put some peanut butter in there instead of treats and then freeze it for 4 hours so it lasts longer. Again, sont stuff it or you will get a fat dog.

Go get a cheapo laser and see if you dog is interested in chasing a laser for laser play.

My dogs love the treat twister but mine learned the trick and it's not actually puzzling anymore
  9. Senior Member
    If you are both gone, there aren't a lot of options. You can google puzzle toys and see if there's anything there you think he'd like, but that's sort of different variations of the Kong, for the most part.

Do you know anyone who is home during the day who could stop by for a play or training session, even for 10 or 15 minutes, or who has a dog and would do play time? If you don't mind spending some money, there are plenty of people who would be willing to take your dog for a walk or work on tricks (or both!) midday.

And tack 15 minutes on to that morning walk, and make it a run instead.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

Thank you so much for this. We are working on the tougher tricks. He knows paw, down, sit, stay, free, roll over, and some others. I didn't think about freezing the peanut butter in his kong! That's an awesome idea. I will look into the interactive games too!

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you are both gone, there aren't a lot of options. You can google puzzle toys and see if there's anything there you think he'd like, but that's sort of different variations of the Kong, for the most part.

Do you know anyone who is home during the day who could stop by for a play or training session, even for 10 or 15 minutes, or who has a dog and would do play time? If you don't mind spending some money, there are plenty of people who would be willing to take your dog for a walk or work on tricks (or both!) midday.

And tack 15 minutes on to that morning walk, and make it a run instead.
    I've been thinking about this lately. I'm trying to figure out if I know anyone who could before we jump to spending money on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast