Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog food expiration date

1. Senior Member

dog food expiration date

Advertisements
    would you feed your pet dry dog food that is 2 days past the marked "best by" date? I've never run into this problem before as their food has always been long gone before the expiration... but I bought a small bag of a new kind of food to try about a month ago and went to sample it with my dogs and noticed the best buy date was 2 days ago... bummer. with people food for myself I wouldn't hesitate at all to eat something that is a few days past the date... even a week or more depending on what it is... but with dog food I don't know if that's safe or not. opinions?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It should be fine, especially if it was closed. It's just the sell by date.
  3. Senior Member
    I would without a doubt. Those numbers are just guides, especially if it says "Best by" and not "Use by". Best is saying that it may not be at optimal quality or taste, but its still ok to eat.

I'm not sure why it would be more dangerous for dog food to be expired than people food. Dogs eat all kinds of disgusting crap and they are fine. Plus dog food is pretty well preserved.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    I would without a doubt. Those numbers are just guides, especially if it says "Best by" and not "Use by". Best is saying that it may not be at optimal quality or taste, but its still ok to eat.

I'm not sure why it would be more dangerous for dog food to be expired than people food. Dogs eat all kinds of disgusting crap and they are fine. Plus dog food is pretty well preserved.
    because it's not human grade meat/food. thought maybe it'd make the consideration of best by dates different.
  5. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    It should be fine, especially if it was closed. It's just the sell by date.
    "Sell by" dates and "best by" dates are two different things typically...

As for the wuestion I don't use ANYTHING that is past it's "use by date." Now if it was just two days past the "sell by date" (again NOT the same thing at all as the best by date/use by. ) then maybe, but the use by date is the date manufacturers of stuff like that. Give the product to show it's last day of when they believe it'll be of quality, and LOTS of companies test their products. So they can give their products the best by dates that reflect the max self life before it starts to go bad/"loose it's quality"....

Really it's up to you, but I myself wouldn't risk it.
    Signature removed due to size.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    "Sell by" dates and "best by" dates are two different things typically...

I don't use ANYTHING that is past it's "use by date. Now if it was just two days past the "sell by date" (NOT the same thing at all as the best by date. ) then maybe, but the use by date is the date manufacturers of stuff like that. Give the product to show it's last day of when they believe it'll be of quality, and LOTS of companies test their products. So they can give their products best by dates that reflect the max self life before it starts to go bad/"loose it's quality"....
    wait, so are you saying use by=best by? or that that is something different as well? this bag says "best by." would you personally use it still, or throw it out?
  7. Senior Member
    Label me Confused! - How to tell the difference between

OP, here is a good guide on the meaning of those different terms.

IMO 2 days is no big deal unless it is something like milk.

For something that is extremely shelf stable like dog food, a few days or even a month is not going to make a big difference. Hell I would eat canned food over a month later, because in reality the amount of preservatives in shelf stable food does not allow bacteria to grow. Remember, they are taking the average or the lower end when testing for expiration date.

Again 2 days, NBD at all. Shelf stable food is just that, shelf stable. It can last for years and years in dry dark places.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  8. Senior Member
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Label me Confused! - How to tell the difference between

OP, here is a good guide on the meaning of those different terms.

IMO 2 days is no big deal unless it is something like milk.

For something that is extremely shelf stable like dog food, a few days or even a month is not going to make a big difference. Hell I would eat canned food over a month later, because in reality the amount of preservatives in shelf stable food does not allow bacteria to grow. Remember, they are taking the average or the lower end when testing for expiration date.

Again 2 days, NBD at all. Shelf stable food is just that, shelf stable. It can last for years and years in dry dark places.
    thanks for the link! that's what my first instinct is as well with it being 2 days over... kind of like, they couldn't possibly know the exact date it goes bad, I mean right? so it's probably fine. but on that same note of them not knowing exactly when it goes bad, it could have already gone bad before that date. the bacteria part you mentioned is what I worry about, like something growing within the ingredients more than worried about staleness. I just don't want to make my pups violently ill... i'm torn! I wish I would have just frickin noticed it earlier...
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    wait, so are you saying use by=best by? or that that is something different as well? this bag says "best by." would you personally use it still, or throw it out?
    To me it's one in the same to have "use by" or best by", because either way the people that make it are using those dates to say it's starting to go bad/loose it's quality. Chances for bacteria and extc go up even if self stable food. ( Where I work once things reach the use by date. Even if it's something we're not selling, but would use to make something we'd be selling. We toss it out if it says anything like use by/sell by/and extc, because once past that use by date. Even if it's self shelve stable there is a slightly greater chance for it making someone sick. So just to be safe we toss it)

Plus, I don't trust dates like that anyways, but mostly because I know some companies wi REALLY stretch their products dates. To try and keep their products on the shelves longer in hopes of raking it their profit from said products. I for sure not with something like dog food. You can't really test it first to see if it's okay. The only way to really know is to feed it to your dog(s). Then do the whole "wait and see" to see if it makes them sick or not. With people food you can sniff it, and/or taste a tiny bit to know if it's turned or not. With dog food not so much... Lol
    Signature removed due to size.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast