Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anyone interested in helping pets of military folk?

1. Lovin' him <3
    Lovin' him <3

Anyone interested in helping pets of military folk?

Advertisements
    Trying to pass the word around about www.Dogsondeployment.com

I know a lot of people who PCS or deploy, end up giving their pets up to shelters or some end up in horrible homes. I know a few of you are pet lovers, so this might be something you are interested in. I plan on doing it once I ETS as I have used another program for my dog, and will end up using DoD for my next PCS. I'm having a hard time finding anyone in or around Fort Campbell to help me with my dog and so far, the closest possible boarder who has stepped up is in Nashville, TN I'm not too worried about an hour away. I won't be too picky as long as she is taken good care of and I can come see her as often as I'd like.

I know with DoD, the owner usually provides entirely for their pet. I know I will and currently do by sending money to the lady who is fostering her. Everything has worked out smoothly, and if anything were to go south, there is a contract that will protect you. It's been a blessing and literally saved my dogs life. Definitely something to look into if you want to help out someone or just have a temporary companion =]
    Stuck in Camp Hovey
  2. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

This is a great idea! Thanks for posting the link.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spontaneous View Post
    Trying to pass the word around about www.Dogsondeployment.com

I know a lot of people who PCS or deploy, end up giving their pets up to shelters or some end up in horrible homes. I know a few of you are pet lovers, so this might be something you are interested in. I plan on doing it once I ETS as I have used another program for my dog, and will end up using DoD for my next PCS. I'm having a hard time finding anyone in or around Fort Campbell to help me with my dog and so far, the closest possible boarder who has stepped up is in Nashville, TN I'm not too worried about an hour away. I won't be too picky as long as she is taken good care of and I can come see her as often as I'd like.

I know with DoD, the owner usually provides entirely for their pet. I know I will and currently do by sending money to the lady who is fostering her. Everything has worked out smoothly, and if anything were to go south, there is a contract that will protect you. It's been a blessing and literally saved my dogs life. Definitely something to look into if you want to help out someone or just have a temporary companion =]

This sounds like a cool service! But, I think some people would be apprehensive about placing their pets with someone they didn't know and also worry that the person may try and keep the pet after getting attached. Can it be someone nearby and also what about the bolded? How does that work?
  4. Lovin' him <3
    Lovin' him <3
    That contract is in place to set guidelines. So far that I know of, if there are any problems the people in the organization deal with it. They really push for you to meet the people and have them also meet your pet to see if it's a good fit. Diesel(my dog) has been in foster care for almost a year and talked to the lady a whole ton before she went there. I ended up coming to Korea before she met her, but it worked out and so far, so good. Guardian Angels for Soldiers Pet is who I use and I know they are very active with their clients. If anything is wrong, they will take care of it for whomever needs it. If you deploy and your pet is not a fit, they work hard to find another home that will fit asap. I haven't looked as much into DoD, but they were in one of the Army newspapers here and they have a very good track record. Your best bet would be to go to their website and look around and maybe e-mail the staff. Right now, I'm just a soldier who PCSs soon who is looking for a boarder for my pup while I'm there, haha. I'm still learning about this wonderful program. I just felt it wouldn't hurt to promote them on here, seems fitting to me =]
    Stuck in Camp Hovey