Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaccine reaction?

1. Senior Member

Vaccine reaction?

Advertisements
    so about 5 days ago my one dog got his rabies vaccine. I've always been given a printout that tells me to look for signs of reaction to it, so I've always known it could do that... but always thought that once you got through the first 24 hours you were in the clear, so I always plan to stay home with them the day they get a shot.

like I said it's 5 days later now... and I've noticed just a few strange things. yesterday when I gave them their mid day treat before I went off to class only my other dog (the one who didn't get the vaccine) came running... they both know the sound of the freaking cupboard opening let alone the sound of the treat bad opening. I had to call his name to get him to come from the adjacent room... he did eat it though, but was very strange.

today when I woke up he was shaking his head a little bit which usually means that his ears are bothering him and are a little swollen... right now they don't look visibly swollen, but I know they must be a little for him to occasionally shake them. this actually isn't too unusual; since we've moved to the east coast this occasionally happens to both my dogs where their ears or eyes will swell for a day or two a few times a year... never happened in the desert, so it must be slight allergies to all the plants or getting bit by bugs...

so this could just be a coincidence that his ears bother him and he for some reason didn't hear me open the cupboard the same week he got his rabies shot... considering those are not hugely concerning symptoms, but definitely noticeable. I then googled about if vaccines could even give a reaction several days later... and apparently they can up to 45 days later... I mean I know that overvaccinating can cause long term problems, but I figured with just the one (which is required by law) it shouldn't be a problem. but there are all sorts of horrible stories... and most people say that their dog had a reaction/died about a week after a vaccination... great. could be that their dog died of other problems and it was also a random coincidence, but man now I am worried.

he has never had a reaction before, and he is barely 5. lots of peoples' stories though say that their dogs had never had a reaction before their incidences. blah. it's about to be the weekend and while we aren't going anywhere over night, we do have plans for both days that will take us out of the house for a good 10-12 hours both days. so... do you think his current slight "symptoms" are vaccine related, or just coincidence? obviously if he gets worse then clearly he needs to go in... but i'm wondering if I shouldn't go away this weekend? for fear of him getting worse and something happening while he is alone... ugh I have this bad feeling.
  2. Regular Member
    I would call the vet. I'm not sure if your regular vet is open weekends or not, but you might try before going with your plans. We took our dog to get his rabies vaccine last week and went right back the next day. He ended up vomiting eight times and having diarrhea nine. I was told to give him 100 mg of benadryl, double his normal amount, but we chose to take him in when he threw up on me trying to get him to take the antihistamine. They gave him a steroid shot and after sleeping about seven hours straight, he woke up wiggling and happy again. He snubbed his nose at treats and refused to eat for over 24 hours and our dog has never snubbed his nose at a pill pocket before. 48 hours after the rabies vaccine and 24 after the steroid shot, he was feeling better and acting normal. Jaxon is only ten months old and this was his first rabies vaccine though. Which if this is a reaction, it could get worse with the next vaccine and so on.

Have you noticed a change in his stool? Also, what size is he? Apparently smaller dogs have a higher chance of reaction than bigger dogs. It really could just be coincidence. I'm honestly still kicking myself in the behind for not thinking of our dog having a reaction since he has allergy issues like crazy.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLZ0618 View Post
    I would call the vet. I'm not sure if your regular vet is open weekends or not, but you might try before going with your plans. We took our dog to get his rabies vaccine last week and went right back the next day. He ended up vomiting eight times and having diarrhea nine. I was told to give him 100 mg of benadryl, double his normal amount, but we chose to take him in when he threw up on me trying to get him to take the antihistamine. They gave him a steroid shot and after sleeping about seven hours straight, he woke up wiggling and happy again. He snubbed his nose at treats and refused to eat for over 24 hours and our dog has never snubbed his nose at a pill pocket before. 48 hours after the rabies vaccine and 24 after the steroid shot, he was feeling better and acting normal. Jaxon is only ten months old and this was his first rabies vaccine though. Which if this is a reaction, it could get worse with the next vaccine and so on.

Have you noticed a change in his stool? Also, what size is he? Apparently smaller dogs have a higher chance of reaction than bigger dogs. It really could just be coincidence. I'm honestly still kicking myself in the behind for not thinking of our dog having a reaction since he has allergy issues like crazy.
    I have also heard that about smaller dogs, but no he is 80 pounds. so far nothing else too alarming is different about him as far as stools etc, but I feel like I am now "seeing" other signs that aren't really there... like letting them outside to go to the bathroom he still runs around some... but i'm like "he's not running around as briskly..." haha so I don't know if I am just making stuff up in my head now that I am concerned... the only things that are for sure right now are that his ears are bothering him a little. I too am afraid that it could just continue to get worse... but I am hoping and praying that it is just a coincidence. I think I may cancel our day plans tomorrow and just go out in the evening. i'm glad your puppy is ok!! I hope my baby is ok too
  4. Regular Member
    It could just be coincidence then. Hopefully anyway! The only thing I can think of is try giving him benadryl to see if that helps the ears any. If he is having a mild allergic reaction, the benadryl should help it. If it isn't allergies, the most it will do is make him sleepy. After the steroid shot, we were told to just make sure he got his benadryl ever 8 hours for 24-36 hours. I'm sure your baby will be ok we are just protective fur moms!
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by JLZ0618 View Post
    It could just be coincidence then. Hopefully anyway! The only thing I can think of is try giving him benadryl to see if that helps the ears any. If he is having a mild allergic reaction, the benadryl should help it. If it isn't allergies, the most it will do is make him sleepy. After the steroid shot, we were told to just make sure he got his benadryl ever 8 hours for 24-36 hours. I'm sure your baby will be ok we are just protective fur moms!
    You should never recommend to anyone giving over the counter drugs to their pets. Dosing is different in animals so giving then 'a benedryl' does not work. Also, some breeds cannot take benedryl. Drugs should only be given at the advice of a veterinarian, not strangers on the internet or even friends.

As for the OP, if you are genuinely concerned, take him to the vet, but honestly, vaccine reactions are rare, especially in older dogs, and especially in bigger dogs. If you look online you will find all sorts of bad things- then again, you can find people saying they developed cancer from stubbing their toe. This is why you should never look up medical advice from the internet. Lots of hype, very little fact. If you are concerned, call your vet and/or bring him in.

Also, vets do not overvaccinate. If you look at the efficacy of the vaccines they have varying degrees. The rabies vaccine only covers 99% of dogs for 3 years, and it drops after that, meaning in the US it cannot be used as a vaccine for 5 years or 4 years, it must be done every 3 years, by law. The same for other vaccines- 95% of dogs are covered by the parvo vaccine by Pfizer for 2 years. After that only 50% of dogs remain immune, so we are required to do it every 2 years- but by all means, if you want your dog to get parvo, spread it to others, cost you $2000 in vet bills or be euthanized, go ahead. Dont vaccinate. Its fine.
  6. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    I mean if you're concerned I would go to the vet... But I don't think shaking his head and not coming for a treat is that alarming.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    I mean if you're concerned I would go to the vet... But I don't think shaking his head and not coming for a treat is that alarming.
    i agree with whit. i'm no professional but IMO i dont think there is anything to be worried about
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    You should never recommend to anyone giving over the counter drugs to their pets. Dosing is different in animals so giving then 'a benedryl' does not work. Also, some breeds cannot take benedryl. Drugs should only be given at the advice of a veterinarian, not strangers on the internet or even friends.

As for the OP, if you are genuinely concerned, take him to the vet, but honestly, vaccine reactions are rare, especially in older dogs, and especially in bigger dogs. If you look online you will find all sorts of bad things- then again, you can find people saying they developed cancer from stubbing their toe. This is why you should never look up medical advice from the internet. Lots of hype, very little fact. If you are concerned, call your vet and/or bring him in.

Also, vets do not overvaccinate. If you look at the efficacy of the vaccines they have varying degrees. The rabies vaccine only covers 99% of dogs for 3 years, and it drops after that, meaning in the US it cannot be used as a vaccine for 5 years or 4 years, it must be done every 3 years, by law. The same for other vaccines- 95% of dogs are covered by the parvo vaccine by Pfizer for 2 years. After that only 50% of dogs remain immune, so we are required to do it every 2 years- but by all means, if you want your dog to get parvo, spread it to others, cost you $2000 in vet bills or be euthanized, go ahead. Dont vaccinate. Its fine.
    right, which is why i had said about maybe it was a coincidence for them as well the seizures/death/crazy other scenarios that people claim happened after a vaccine, i definitely agree. i feel like if it was a violent and direct reaction it would be pretty soon after the shot, correct? like within hours? blah i'll feel better after the weekend and he's still alive

i'm a little confused about your last paragraph though i never mentioned anything in my OP about parvo or refusing to protect my dog... but since it was brought up, i deal with the issue of overvaccinating by getting my dogs titer tested for parvo and distemper and they are both still immune as of this year. i will only vaccinate for those if a titer test ever comes back weak. i'd probably titer test for rabies too if it weren't for the fact that if my dog bit someone he would still be quarantined and treated as if he were not vaccinated. so that's why i continue to get them their rabies shots every 3 years even though their immunity has a high possibility of being intact for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    right, which is what I stated in the OP. that it's really not that alarming right now, but was concerned if it was the start of a reaction that could continue to get worse. just little things i started noticing that were off has heightened my awareness to anything developing.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Also, vets do not overvaccinate. If you look at the efficacy of the vaccines they have varying degrees. The rabies vaccine only covers 99% of dogs for 3 years, and it drops after that, meaning in the US it cannot be used as a vaccine for 5 years or 4 years, it must be done every 3 years, by law.
    I'm confused with what you mean by this. I have lived places where the county had rules on how often you had to give the rabies vaccine. So, if you went to a vet in one county, the paperwork would say that the vaccine was only good for one year, but if you went to a vet in the next county over, the same vaccine would get you paperwork that said it was good for three years. To me, that means the vet could be over vaccinating your pet.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    right, which is why i had said about maybe it was a coincidence for them as well the seizures/death/crazy other scenarios that people claim happened after a vaccine, i definitely agree. i feel like if it was a violent and direct reaction it would be pretty soon after the shot, correct? like within hours? blah i'll feel better after the weekend and he's still alive

i'm a little confused about your last paragraph though i never mentioned anything in my OP about parvo or refusing to protect my dog... but since it was brought up, i deal with the issue of overvaccinating by getting my dogs titer tested for parvo and distemper and they are both still immune as of this year. i will only vaccinate for those if a titer test ever comes back weak. i'd probably titer test for rabies too if it weren't for the fact that if my dog bit someone he would still be quarantined and treated as if he were not vaccinated. so that's why i continue to get them their rabies shots every 3 years even though their immunity has a high possibility of being intact for that as well.

right, which is what I stated in the OP. that it's really not that alarming right now, but was concerned if it was the start of a reaction that could continue to get worse. just little things i started noticing that were off has heightened my awareness to anything developing.
    By your OP it seemed like you didnt vaccinate at all besides rabies since we 'overvaccinate' (which I disagree with but anyway), but if you get titers done then I give you props. You do more then the others who dont vaccinate which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    I'm confused with what you mean by this. I have lived places where the county had rules on how often you had to give the rabies vaccine. So, if you went to a vet in one county, the paperwork would say that the vaccine was only good for one year, but if you went to a vet in the next county over, the same vaccine would get you paperwork that said it was good for three years. To me, that means the vet could be over vaccinating your pet.
    In the US a rabies vaccine needs to have a minimum efficacy of 3 years to be allowed to be sold in the US as a vaccine (rabies only, other viruses, based on the nature of the virus, have different timelines). Sadly, sometimes vets have to do things which dont make sense to follow legalities. This is why government should not meddle in healthcare. They often dont get it. If a county mandates we vaccinate every year, then what do we do? Disobey the law and get our licenses taken away? However I have never heard of a county mandating a timeline on vaccines, only that it needs to be up-to-date. You must have lived in a very strange county TBH.

No for other vaccines (ex. parvo, lepto etc..) some brands of the vaccine work for 1, while other brands work for 2. So if you went to vet A one year they would say 'come back next year for a booster', and if you went to vet B, they may say 'come back in 2'. Not only that, but over the years vaccines have changed so something that used to have an immunity of 1 year may now have it 2, or some vaccines are done together (like lepto and distemper) that were not mixed together previously and that can affect vaccination schedules as well.

In all honesty, these schedules are not made by vets at all, but by vaccine companies and government decrees/laws. Sadly, we play very little role in it, besides the development of them to begin with.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast