Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a dog have a growth spurt at 19 months..?

1. Senior Member

Can a dog have a growth spurt at 19 months..?

Advertisements
    My dog has been eating like twice as much lately. He's a golden retriever, 19 months old, he's been hovering around 55 pounds since he was around 8 months old. Nothing else has changed behavior wise, but he did get neutered three weeks ago and his appetite increased a few days after.

Is that normal? Could he be going through a growth spurt this old? I was googling and no other explanation seems to fit. He was just at the vet and she said he looks perfect and he's not acting any different, just hungrier. Should I bring him back? I'm afraid I'm ignoring a major health issue or something.
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Neutering shouldn't cause him to eat more but can slow down his metabolism, dogs tend to put on quite a bit of weight after being spayed/neutered. They should be given the recommended amount on the back of the food bag for the weight he currently is, if you feel he needs treats then fresh green beans and other veggies tend to be good treats that are low fat.

3. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Has he always been enthusiastic about eating, or is it a new behavior? Larger breeds tend to continue to grow and mature for up to there 2nd birthday. I don't think it's a huge growth spurt per say but his growth plates are still maturing. Neutering can cause a lot of pets to act somewhat abnormal for a few weeks after. I would monitor his intake and pay close attention to his thirst, has increased also?, if that has also changed or he continuous to be eating like crazy you may want to take him in.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Dogs gain weight after they are spayed/neutered. I would not let him eat extra because the extra weight is never a good thing, especially in larger breed dogs. If you notice any other signs though (pot belly, hair loss, extra scratching), then take him to the vet, but since hes so young he very very very most likely doesnt have anything else wrong with him.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatchbell322 View Post
    Has he always been enthusiastic about eating, or is it a new behavior? Larger breeds tend to continue to grow and mature for up to there 2nd birthday. I don't think it's a huge growth spurt per say but his growth plates are still maturing. Neutering can cause a lot of pets to act somewhat abnormal for a few weeks after. I would monitor his intake and pay close attention to his thirst, has increased also?, if that has also changed or he continuous to be eating like crazy you may want to take him in.
    No honestly he's always had a horrible appetite lol. Before he'd eat maybe 2-3 cups of food and day and now he's eating 4-6. Which I think is the right amount based on his size and how much he runs around, I just thought it was weird that it changed so suddenly. He used to just have a bite of food now and then and he barely ever finished a bowl, now he whines by the bag in the morning.

Nothing else has changed at all though. He does drink a lot but we live in Florida and he's always running laps around the yard in the sun, he's not drinking more than usual or anything.
  6. Senior Member
    He can only eat more if you feed him more. I'd continue feeding the same as always, and unless he's losing (or gaining) weight, I'd stick with that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    He can only eat more if you feed him more. I'd continue feeding the same as always, and unless he's losing (or gaining) weight, I'd stick with that.

Feed your normal amounts and monitor his body condition - adjust up/down on the feeding amount only when you see a change in condition that indicates a change is in order.
  8. "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    "I belong with you, you belong with me"
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    No honestly he's always had a horrible appetite lol. Before he'd eat maybe 2-3 cups of food and day and now he's eating 4-6. Which I think is the right amount based on his size and how much he runs around, I just thought it was weird that it changed so suddenly. He used to just have a bite of food now and then and he barely ever finished a bowl, now he whines by the bag in the morning.

Nothing else has changed at all though. He does drink a lot but we live in Florida and he's always running laps around the yard in the sun, he's not drinking more than usual or anything.

Ok. Ditto what Vino said, just monitor his intake and watch for problem signs. And he will be more likely to gain weight after neutering so you may want to feed him slightly less, unles he is super active.
  9. Senior Member
    Ok thanks everyone! I'm glad I posted this lmao I would've let him become obese.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Were you restricting his activity post surgery? If so, the increased appetite may have started as boredom eating and has just become new routine for him.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast