Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Flea Med for Puppy recomendations?

1. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels

Flea Med for Puppy recomendations?

Advertisements
    Anyone have a preferred flea medication for puppies? I haven't had a dog in so long, I don't know what to use!
  2. Senior Member
    I use trifexis. I think I might be spelling that wrong but it does everything but ticks I believe.
  3. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    Trifexis does do everything but ticks It helps prevent fleas and heart worms. But some vets will require a yearly Heartworm Test in order to prescribe it depending on where you are and heartworm in your area. Its a great product and its oral so no need to worry about not being able to pet or play with your puppy while they have medication on them. (Be aware that it is common for dogs to possibly puke up the first dose but normally wont happen again and as long as it doesnt happen in the first hour of getting it then they have the medication in their system) Lately we have been seeing more and more resistance to Frontline so I would not use that because it seems to be a waste of money. Also, if you have cats, no advantix but advantage is ok. There is also Comfortis which is another oral flea medication that is Trifexis without the heartworm preventative in it. There is also another product that is relatively new called Vectra that we are seeing work really well (at least in my area) Hope that all helps hahaha

Basically, long story short, I would suggest Trifexis or Comfortis based on if you want the heartworm prevention or not but its up to your personal preference

Also, ask your vet for their opinion pertaining to your specific area and prevention

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  4. Regular Member
    We have been using Stronghold for our staffie. Stronghold is the British name, but Revolution is the American, which is what he will be switched to after the supply of Stronghold wears out. It covers fleas, heart worm prevention, and other internal parasites so we don't have to worry about worming him. It's also supposed to be really good for dogs with skin issues and allergies, so it has another added bonus there too, at least for us.
  5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    How old is the puppy?

6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2BmrsG View Post
    How old is the puppy?
    6 months.
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I have a Seresto collar on my puppy right now. It's what his vet, and some other people I talked to who actually used it, recommended. Since my pup is still far to young for stuff like Froline and extc,
    Amazon.com: Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs, For Small Dogs: Pet Supplies

The collar is kinda pricey(I paid just over $60 for the one Denny has on right now), BUT it really does keep the fleas off him. It's also good for about 8months(Provides up to 8 months of protection from fleas, ticks, larvae and lice), and I've not seen a single flea on Denny since I put the Seresto collar on him. It also is something he can wear during baths, and it even has the quick release feature. Where it'll release from the dog if the collar gets caught on something.
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member
    Comfortis or Trifexis. Both are awesome. The same flea preventative is in both, but Trifexis has a heart worm preventative as well. Trifexis is what I give my dogs.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by kms51211 View Post
    I use trifexis. I think I might be spelling that wrong but it does everything but ticks I believe.
    This! Or Comfortis.