Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ugh, I'm getting the itch...

1. Free!
    Free!

Ugh, I'm getting the itch...

Advertisements
    For a new pet. I'm leaning towards a Green Anole or Leopard Gecko. I want to get 2 since they seem to be social animals and I was wondering if anyone has experience with them? Would a 10gal tank be big enough for 2? I'm still in the process of research so it's going to be a few months before I get them. I just want to see if anyone here has personal experience with either species.
  2. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

I don't know anything about Geckos but I just want to say I love your siggy. The other baseball one where the guy walks away was great also. They make me laugh everytime I see them
  3. Regular Member
    A ten gallon for two green anoles would work, but you would probably want a 20 gallon long for two leopard geckos. Another suggestion is a crested gecko. I love them and they don't require heat lamps or anything like that. They do well at around 75 degrees F and don't require crickets for food. Primary food for them is Repashy crested gecko diet. Plus you can hold them. I never attempted to hold my anoles, they definitely were flighty little guys. My leopard gecko was fairly hand friendly, but still not quite as hand friendly as the cresties I had.

I would love to get another gecko, except I don't see it being very easy to transport them to another country if we needed to.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by JLZ0618 View Post
    A ten gallon for two green anoles would work, but you would probably want a 20 gallon long for two leopard geckos. Another suggestion is a crested gecko. I love them and they don't require heat lamps or anything like that. They do well at around 75 degrees F and don't require crickets for food. Primary food for them is Repashy crested gecko diet. Plus you can hold them. I never attempted to hold my anoles, they definitely were flighty little guys. My leopard gecko was fairly hand friendly, but still not quite as hand friendly as the cresties I had.

I would love to get another gecko, except I don't see it being very easy to transport them to another country if we needed to.
    +1 on the 20 long suggestion, in fact I'd go with that regardless of whether you end up going with geckos or anoles. Long tanks are fabulous because they offer the extra foot print and I always like to provide as much room as I can rather than just looking at what the minimum space would need to be.
  5. Free!
    Free!

Thanks! I was mostly worried that the place I wanted to put them would be too small but I just measured and the 20 long will fit easily!

We usually keep the house fairly cool, in the 60's, so I think I'm going to have to get a heat lamp just to make sure they'd be comfortable. What kind of substrate did you use?
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneslady View Post
    Thanks! I was mostly worried that the place I wanted to put them would be too small but I just measured and the 20 long will fit easily!

We usually keep the house fairly cool, in the 60's, so I think I'm going to have to get a heat lamp just to make sure they'd be comfortable. What kind of substrate did you use?
    That's understandable. With the heat lamp, you will want to put it more to one side versus in the middle so that they can go cool themselves down if they need to. I used paper towels for substrate with all my geckos for the simple reason I didn't want them eating the substrate and getting compacted. Plus, it's super easy to just put them in a critter keeper, pull everything out and throw some paper towels away. My leopard gecko actually had a corner she consistently used to potty, so I just added some extra paper towel there. With anoles, you will need stuff to climb out and definitely a locking lid or weight on it. As little as they are, they can still push up a bit trying to escape.

I just completely lost my train of thought but I'm sure I'll think of the other things I was going to tell you after a bit. Darn homework fries your brain.
  7. Free!
    Free!
    That's understandable. With the heat lamp, you will want to put it more to one side versus in the middle so that they can go cool themselves down if they need to. I used paper towels for substrate with all my geckos for the simple reason I didn't want them eating the substrate and getting compacted. Plus, it's super easy to just put them in a critter keeper, pull everything out and throw some paper towels away. My leopard gecko actually had a corner she consistently used to potty, so I just added some extra paper towel there. With anoles, you will need stuff to climb out and definitely a locking lid or weight on it. As little as they are, they can still push up a bit trying to escape.

I just completely lost my train of thought but I'm sure I'll think of the other things I was going to tell you after a bit. Darn homework fries your brain.
    I was thinking of using a couple of critter keepers for feeding just to make sure that both would get enough food. It seems like getting 2 females would be best (I don't want to breed) and I'm now leaning towards one of the gecko species. I'm hoping I can find a 20gal tank at a thrift store because I've been looking and just not finding anything I like or is in my price range from the pet stores. I did find a terrarium set-up kit that I like geared towards either tropical or desert lizards depending on which I get but it has everything decoration-wise and food and water dishes for a reasonable price.