Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fattening dog food?

1. Senior Member

Help Fattening dog food?

Advertisements
    My yorkie/chi mix is like super uber skinny. I need to fatten her up a bit. Petting her, all you feel is ribs & her spine. She has food & water available at all times DH or I are up. She doesn't seem to like the food we've been feeding her because the kibble is too tiny. My sister's dog gets the same food for bigger dogs & she'll eat that when we visit my parents.

So, I need to find a decent quality food that won't break the bank, but that will put some meat on my poor puppy. Suggestions?

(We've been feeding her this...... Vets Choice: Products - Holistic Health Extension Little Bites)

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Have you been free feeding?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    1. Take her to a vet to make sure she doesn't have a medical reason why she's not gaining weight.

2. When she eats does she eat a lot? Finish her bowl? Eat 2-3 times per day?

3. What about adding in canned dog food?

4. Our German Shep has always been underweight and lean, vet said nothings wrong with him. He's a picky picky eater. we put him on Eukanuba Sport because after talking to our Vet and her flipping through her book it has the highest calories. Food for sporting dogs have high cals because they need them. He gets a full bowl of food in the morning with 2 cans of canned food he doesn't eat it all. At night same thing but he usually eats it all.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My puppies prefer adult food for some reason as well. And the adult prefers the little kiddle.

We had to fatten up a foster dog (she was about 1 1/2 and severely underweight) and we tried to give her food that had more protein and gave her puppy fiid since it had more calories and for snacks I made ice cubes with oatmeal, nautral peanut butter, soy protein and milk.

Keep an eye out of her poop as well, it turned out that Eve had worms and once we took care of that she was able to get to a normal weight in no time.
  5. Senior Member
    Her poop looks fine. It can take her all day to eat a 1/2 cup of food. She likes wet food, but with my preggo nose I had to stop giving it to her. She got a full checkup last summer, she's been skinny since I got her, but I noticed it got worse after we moved to TX. I'm in the process of finding a new vet here.
  6. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggie View Post
    Her poop looks fine. It can take her all day to eat a 1/2 cup of food. She likes wet food, but with my preggo nose I had to stop giving it to her. She got a full checkup last summer, she's been skinny since I got her, but I noticed it got worse after we moved to TX. I'm in the process of finding a new vet here.
    Sounds like she's almost due then, you had her dewormed correct? Sometimes if you let them eat whenever they want they don't eat. Sometimes setting specific times of the day to eat and removing the food will entice them to eat when the bowl is ready for them.

Adding canned into our dogs bowl was what gives him the initial encouragement to eat. But I know that stuff smells horrid! Some of the all natural ones don't spell quite as bad. There's also gel you can buy at the Petstore thats a high calorie add in. They even have Gravy stuff to help entice her nose.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGirlfriend-x View Post
    Sounds like she's almost due then, you had her dewormed correct? Sometimes if you let them eat whenever they want they don't eat. Sometimes setting specific times of the day to eat and removing the food will entice them to eat when the bowl is ready for them.

Adding canned into our dogs bowl was what gives him the initial encouragement to eat. But I know that stuff smells horrid! Some of the all natural ones don't spell quite as bad. There's also gel you can buy at the Petstore thats a high calorie add in. They even have Gravy stuff to help entice her nose.
    Yea, I'm just waiting for DH's checks to be regular to schedule an appointment with my cousin's vet. I'm just afraid that if I take her food away, she'll just not eat. Although if the cat food is on the floor she's on that like white on rice!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If she's picky you might want to try adding chicken stock to her food to see if it'll entice her without the dog food smell.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Have you considered keeping the food she has and just supplementing her diet as needed?

I know a lot of rescue folk use satin balls when they need to fatten up their doggies.

How to: Make Satin Balls or Fat Balls - DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
  10. Senior Member
    Those sound gross! I will keep that in reserve though! Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast