Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: African Cichlids

  1. Account Closed
    BzzzWife's Avatar
    BzzzWife is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NONE
    Posts
    6,714
    #1

    African Cichlids

    Advertisements
    Since these aren't furry I thought I should put this post here cause they are pets to us LOL

    Does anyone else have African Cichlids? I have a question.. I was reading more about our water pets and found this

    "Most African cichlids are what’s called “maternal mouthbrooders.” Once a male has fertilized the eggs, the female will pick them up, and incubate them in her mouth for a period of 3 weeks to 31 days, depending upon the species. While “holding” the eggs, the mother will “tumble” them in her buccal cavity. During this period, she doesn’t eat. Once the yolk sack has disappeared and the fry are free-swimming, she will release them. Many researchers believe that mouth brooding is an advance in the evolution of reproductive methods, since it provides extended protection to the offspring during a delicate point of their development. Furthermore, the offspring of mouthbrooders tend to be larger than substrate fry. And even after the fry have been released, the mother will frequently take them back up into her buccal cavity when they are threatened."

    My question is our water pets are forming a large whole in the substrate (sand to some)..I thought they were hiding eggs (pregnant) but I can't tell because our substrate is black and white....Then after finding that piece up top hmm any guesses anyone as to why the wholes.
  2. Account Closed
    JudyB's Avatar
    JudyB is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Feet on the ground
    Posts
    24,811
    #2
    Most chichlids like to move things around.....they will not hesitate to rearrange a tank or pick things up...it's possible they are just having some fun, not sure though. What kind of African's do you have?? I have a friend I could ask to be sure...but I won't see him or talk to him again on Thurs when he comes to my work to take care of the fish tanks!
  3. Account Closed
    BzzzWife's Avatar
    BzzzWife is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NONE
    Posts
    6,714
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
    Most chichlids like to move things around.....they will not hesitate to rearrange a tank or pick things up...it's possible they are just having some fun, not sure though. What kind of African's do you have?? I have a friend I could ask to be sure...but I won't see him or talk to him again on Thurs when he comes to my work to take care of the fish tanks!
    Not sure which kinds..DH is sleep right now so I can't ask him..These turkeys are quick too....Soon as the top opens they know it's feeding time..They attack the food like sharks they are so funny and cute...full of life...They won't feed when DH puts food in the tank only when I do...They recognize my voice "Hi babies..Momma's here" I swear you should see his face..He yells at the tank "You guys are so mean, you gave up on your Pappy" Oh there only 1 inch in length so far...
  4. Account Closed
    JudyB's Avatar
    JudyB is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Feet on the ground
    Posts
    24,811
    #4
    That is so funny!!! I love African Cichlids...they are so colorful, especially when they get bigger
    What color are they?? At work we have two big blue ones that are Dolphin Heads and we also have another type of Cichlid called Convicts...the Convicts are my fave!!!!
    WHen I had my tank I had these huge ones...blue, red and yellow...the blue one killed the other two and then rearranged my tank about every two days....I never saw him it was cloudy
  5. Account Closed
    BzzzWife's Avatar
    BzzzWife is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NONE
    Posts
    6,714
    #5
    One is yellow with a black line on its top fin, one is a fire mouth, one is a skinny zebra looking, one is faint blue color, 2 are orange like, we had 11 but 3 died during the first stages.. we want the electric blue ones..i want a few reds too... Convicts huh...why does that remind me of the song by Akon
  6. Account Closed
    JudyB's Avatar
    JudyB is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Feet on the ground
    Posts
    24,811
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BzzzWife View Post
    One is yellow with a black line on its top fin, one is a fire mouth, one is a skinny zebra looking, one is faint blue color, 2 are orange like, we had 11 but 3 died during the first stages.. we want the electric blue ones..i want a few reds too... Convicts huh...why does that remind me of the song by Akon

    Does it kinda start like this???

    Konvict
    Stand up
    Salute
    Devon Stephens
    Up front is in the building
    It's the konvict album
    Yeah



    I LOVE Firemouths!!! They are so purty ...the convicts are cool..they have some great color!!
  7. Account Closed
    BzzzWife's Avatar
    BzzzWife is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NONE
    Posts
    6,714
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
    Does it kinda start like this???

    Konvict
    Stand up
    Salute
    Devon Stephens
    Up front is in the building
    It's the konvict album
    Yeah



    I LOVE Firemouths!!! They are so purty ...the convicts are cool..they have some great color!!

    You floor me girl Stand up..

    Is that a Convict Cichlid?
  8. Account Closed
    JudyB's Avatar
    JudyB is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Feet on the ground
    Posts
    24,811
    #8
    Yep....sure is...isn't he purdy ...when they get mad or have a member of the opposite sex around they get this pretty blue line across their top fin and the females bellies turn purple or pink!!
  9. Proud Seabee wife!
    A_BU'swife's Avatar
    A_BU'swife is offline
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,575
    #9
    Ive got a 125 gallon tank of them and have had them for 6 yrs and the breed all the time and do the whole digging for territory and to lure the mate. I have the bricardis..sp? that put there eggs inside there coral...the others carry eggs and babys in there mouth.
  10. Account Closed
    BzzzWife's Avatar
    BzzzWife is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NONE
    Posts
    6,714
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by aelsass View Post
    Ive got a 125 gallon tank of them and have had them for 6 yrs and the breed all the time and do the whole digging for territory and to lure the mate. I have the bricardis..sp? that put there eggs inside there coral...the others carry eggs and babys in there mouth.
    I was watching them earlier and the yellow w/black line across the fin was in that whole they made sitting in there like it was waiting for someone and chasing away some of the others from going near it...What is this about? Another question is how can you tell males from females
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •