Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My hang up on getting a pet

1. Armylove

My hang up on getting a pet

Advertisements
    Mainly a dog. I know DH really wants to get a dog, but to be honest when he is deployed I dont want to have to walk a dog at night alone.

Is that weird. I mean I have lived here in FL my whole life and I still dont like doing it.

Anyone else feel like that? Or am I just retarded
  2. spunkinuniform
    it can be a pain. depends how late at night your walking it. I always hate walking the dog, but I just put my headphones and take that half hour and do it. It's good exercize. haha. But I can see where it can be a pain.
  3. Armylove
    FOr me its a huge pain, because my dog whines at like 2 in the morning to go out, and if you dont take him, he shits in the house
  4. Senior Member
    For me it's not a huge pain... he sleeps all night and when I get home from work I take him for a walk, just around the block or to the park and throw the ball for him.. but also that dog is going to be YOURS.. because your husband isnt going to be around.. well that's just what I have experienced with our dog.. he pretty much only listens to me and follws me around.. not DH! HTH
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    eh, it's not that big of a deal for me. buddy is MY dog. and if it weren't for him, i'd go crazy when dh is gone. he's not a big guy, so he doesn't have to go for long walks. and we never go on walks when it's really late out. if he has to go potty when it's dark, i just take him on his leash in the front yard, let him do his business, and go back in.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  6. PvtWinkiesgirl
    Adding a pet is a personal decision, just because it works for others, doesnt mean it works for you. I work with family after family where a dog was brough into the house because one person wanted it, its always a sticky situation. Getting a new dog, or any other pet, needs to be a unanimous decision for the whole family.

I can tell you from experience when DF and I where dating, he bought a dog without thinking about what the next 10 years of his life were gonna be like. Guess who's stuck with the dog now? I really don't care for him at all, exact OPPOSITE of what I breed in my dogs, I can't stand the temperament of this bloodline, imo they're all whacked out. And I feel bad for him, he deserves much more attention that he getes now. My daughter takes him to my obedience classes a couple nights a week, and that helps, but he still makes me crazy.

I would say it would also depend on what kind of dog your hubby wants, some dogs you'll feel VERY safe walking at night, others (like df's dog!) are super drivey and way too high maintenance for the average person.

Good luck with your decision, feel free to pm for brred/breeder referrals if you like!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtWinkiesgirl View Post
    Adding a pet is a personal decision, just because it works for others, doesnt mean it works for you. I work with family after family where a dog was brough into the house because one person wanted it, its always a sticky situation. Getting a new dog, or any other pet, needs to be a unanimous decision for the whole family.

I can tell you from experience when DF and I where dating, he bought a dog without thinking about what the next 10 years of his life were gonna be like. Guess who's stuck with the dog now? I really don't care for him at all, exact OPPOSITE of what I breed in my dogs, I can't stand the temperament of this bloodline, imo they're all whacked out. And I feel bad for him, he deserves much more attention that he getes now. My daughter takes him to my obedience classes a couple nights a week, and that helps, but he still makes me crazy.

I would say it would also depend on what kind of dog your hubby wants, some dogs you'll feel VERY safe walking at night, others (like df's dog!) are super drivey and way too high maintenance for the average person.

Good luck with your decision, feel free to pm for brred/breeder referrals if you like!
    I couldn't agree more.

Do you have a fenced in yard? A dog needs to be walked, but for the 2 am deals, or likewise, could you just let them out in a fenced yard?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ooh... I think that if YOU'RE not ready for a dog... then don't get one. Especially if you're gonna be the one who gets stuck walking it every night.

Maybe you could consider a cat? They're a little more low-maintainence... and you don't have to walk them?
  9. ImaLuckyWife
    a dog is a commitment so you hafta be deff ready for it...i could go on but i wont lol

we have a yard now so its really not a deal but Bub goes to bed when we go to bed but deff puppies will wake you up in the middle of the night

dogs are just like kids!
  10. Armylove
    Cats are fine for me,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast