Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking leave and pets?!

1. Senior Member

Taking leave and pets?!

Advertisements
    DH and I are planning on taking 3-4 weeks of leave in March, and we're taking our dog with us. Our problem is our cats. We had one of our friends that was going to come over everyday and feed and water them. Well the other day, we got a note on our door from housing saying that you can't leave animals in your house while you're on leave. Our friend can't have him in his house because he has allergies and they don't want cat hair, etc to get all over his house, which is totally understandable. We have a couple other friends that would watch them, but they really don't get along with other cats. So I'm really not sure what to do with them. We can't afford to board them (do they even do that with cats?) and we don't want to take them with us because we're driving from Nevada to Virginia.

So what does everyone do when they take leave if they have animals?!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    We've alwasy left out cats at home and had a friend come feed water and change the litter box. We've never had a problem and I live in housing. How did housing know you were leaving them?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaJ View Post
    We've alwasy left out cats at home and had a friend come feed water and change the litter box. We've never had a problem and I live in housing. How did housing know you were leaving them?
    They were just going around posting letters on everyone's doors about taking leave. They said if you're taking leave, you have to notify housing in case something happens while you're gone and to not leave your pets.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We hired a petsitter when we vacationed with animals. Or you can always board them
  5. I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I'm Only A Little Crazy
    If you cant find anybody to keep them I would suggest checking into boarding them. I know there are some "pet spas" here and my sister actually took her cat to one when she was out of town.
  6. Senior Member
    We can't afford to board 2 cats or hire a petsitter for that amount of time..
  7. New beginnings
    New beginnings
    if i lived closer i would take them for you i love kittie sitting.

xo
    "You might be a big fish in a little pond, doesn't mean you've won, 'cause along might come a bigger one. And you'll be lost."
  8. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Bring them over!

Maybe ask the housing people what they suggest?

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

9. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    When we went to Tokyo, our neighbor popped in on them either other day and changed their food/water.

When we went to Seattle, we had DJ's coworker spend the night with them for about 10 days. It gave them companionship and it got her out of the barracks.

Both times that we left, we notified housing that we wouldn't be there. Period. Nothing about the cats. But we also notified the base vet saying that we would be out of town for X amount of days and that Mr. Smith had full responsibility for medical decisions in our absence.

In both cases, I left a note on the door that said: In case of emergency please contact us at: .......... and Mr. Smith has a set of my keys.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Well we arent supposed to have pets in housing here so they dont know anything.

I just have a friend come over every other day to check on the, feed them clean litter box.

We never tell housing that we are going on vacation either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast