Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamsters

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Hamsters

Advertisements
    Everytime DH and I go to Petsmart or Petco I fall in love with the Dwarf Hamsters (no tail females)

He knows how much I want one but I read all the work involved taking care of them....

Does anyone else have one?
  2. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    I had one when I was younger. It was a teddy bear hamster, and so fluffy. Easy to take care of, just clean the cage a few times a week. Basically the same as a guinea pig, but less squeaking!

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Had one NEVER again. Brought it home from the pet store and it gave birth. They creep me out.
  4. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    I used to have a couple when I was younger. I think I had 3 adults at one point and a couple litters of babies! LOL!! Just clean the cage up a few times a week and they get food and water every day! Not much needed really!!!

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We adopted 2 dwarfs from the humane society here and they are ok! They have a huge cage and such!!
  6. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    My sister...well my mom because she took care of it had one. Andchewy wasn't a dwarf hamster but he was the cutest sweetest thing ever. I dont remember there being much work for my mom. She just made sure he had food and cleaned/ filled his water thingy. Then she would ever once in a while (maybe ever week) clean out the bottom of his cage. But he was my favorite pet he was so snuggly and would give us kisses. I loved when he would stuff his cheeks with his food. lol. We had him for a few years..but he died last year because he had cancer on his neck My mom decided to not put him to sleep because he didn't seem to be suffering. Which I read online is a common thing for hamster to get. I would get one but DH doesn't want any critters wondering around. (But I might talk him into it when we get a house and baby is a little older)
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    awww sorry about your critter...See I read that if they get out and jump they are hard to find later....eeekk I don't want to catch any germs from them since I have asthma..another eeek...but I want one so bad
  8. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    If you get a high enough cage then they won't jump out..ours never did my mom would let it out it in it's ball but soon she couldnt do that anymore because the bulldogies would chase and kick it around lol

But i did have an iguana that escaped in my room and my mom spent like 3 days trying to find him and when she did she grabbed it's tail and well the tail was in her hand and nothing else lol but she found him and he was okay.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They aren't that hard to take care of really....just change or clean the bedding regularly, fresh food and water daily....thats really about it. Things to chew on and a wheel or something is always nice for them....other than that they are pretty self maintanance!!
    If you get an aquarium to keep them in, you can get a lid that is plastic and wire mesh..they also come with little things to hook it to the top so they can't push it open. If it were to get loose...lemon drops will help to draw it out my boss at the pet shop I used to work for always did this to get her's to come out when it escaped...she also had this little make shift leash for it's mate and would parade her around the house until he came out
  10. Cher
    I've had a lot of hamsters in my life. I don't think they are that hard to take care of. Just remember to keep them fed and clean their cage. I do have to say that Dwarf Hamsters are evil little things though. They are short tempered and tend to bite a lot. I used to have one at my house and I also had to deal with them when I worked at the pet store. I say, if you're going to get a hamster go for one that is nicer, like a teddy bear hamster or something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast