Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What can I do?

1. Cher

What can I do?

Advertisements
    My male dog, Jester is SO freaking pushy and I have no clue how to deal with this. Basically, when it comes to feeding time, he'll chow down on his food and then go to Sidney, push her out of the way and eat all her food too. And if, by chance, he decides not to eat her food, he will lay really close to her bowl and watch her. When he does this, she will only take one or two bites and walk away because she's such a nervous dog. I'm definitely starting to notice the effects of his behavior because Sidney is getting really skinny and Jester is getting really fat. I've tried everything I can think of to keep him away from her food, but nothing works. Today I had to feed her little handfuls of food in the hallway while Russ held down Jester just so she could have some food in her stomach. When they were younger this was just an occasional thing, but now that they are both older, it's a daily thing. Is there anything I can do to stop him from doing this? I can't just sit here and regulate their eating habits, but on the other hand I can't have Sidney walking around starving just because Jester is controlling.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    can you feed them in seperate rooms, seperated by a closed door?

that is the only thing i can think of..... good luck!
  3. Armylove
    My exs sisters dog used to do that. They just ate in seperate rooms. OR they had to eat in their cages.
  4. MRussell
    I would try feeding them in seperate rooms, or maybe putting Jester outside when your smaller dog needs to eat!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Poor Sydney......I still think booting Jesters butt out of the house is the best thing...or taking Sydney in your room and sitting with her while she eats.
  6. PvtWinkiesgirl
    Sounds like Jester needs to know YOU run the house, not him. I would get him enrolled in some obedience classes so you can teach him to stay and let your other dog eat. In the meantime, yeah, I'd say separate them.
  7. Cher
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtWinkiesgirl View Post
    Sounds like Jester needs to know YOU run the house, not him. I would get him enrolled in some obedience classes so you can teach him to stay and let your other dog eat. In the meantime, yeah, I'd say separate them.
    I know, he should have had obedience classes a long time ago. Actually the both need them, just more him then her. My brother is going to sign me up for classes through the city that he works for once I get out to CA. He said that the classes worked wonders for his dogs.

Well, this morning I didn't even have to separate them. For some reason Sidney decided that she was going to be boss and not only make him wait to eat until after she was done, but she also ate all of her food and half of his By the time dinner rolled around he left her alone and left as soon as he finished his bowl of food. I'm so proud of my little Sidney
  8. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Good for Sydney!!!! She showed him what was up!!! Tired of taking his crap!! LOL!!!!

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  9. Cher
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysGirl View Post
    Good for Sydney!!!! She showed him what was up!!! Tired of taking his crap!! LOL!!!!
    No kidding. I don't know if dogs feel a sense of pride, but after she did that she had her tail up and wagging like crazy. She must have known she did something right