Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: False Pregnancies?!

1. Senior Member

False Pregnancies?!

Advertisements
    I posted a couple weeks ago about my dogs area and nipples being swollen like she was about to go in heat. And I was confused because she just went into heat into October. Last night I discovered she was producing milk, and alot of it. I didn't know if that was normal to just randomly start producing milk, so I looked it up online. Since she was in heat in October, she is going through a false pregnancy, which from what I understand is pretty common in female dogs. And I think it explains so much with how shes been acting recently. But, my question, do dogs tend to go to the bathroom more when they are going through this? She's fine during the day because she usually lets us know when she needs to go out. But during the night, that's a different story since she doesn't wake us up when she needs to go out. We put her out right before we go to bed and put her out when we get up. Which hasn't been more than 8 hours recently and she used to be able to hold it for more than 12 hours. So is she just not able to hold it since she's going through this false pregnancy??
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Dogs dont just go into heat every year, it can be lots of times...
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    Dogs dont just go into heat every year, it can be lots of times...
    I've read online many times and have been told by alot of people that dogs go into heat about every 6 months. Since she just had her heat 2 months ago, then she can't be in heat again. And she's never produced milk while she was in heat since we've had her. We got her right after she had her first heat and she was the same way as now.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thats not what we tell people here at work...Thats why its always trickier to spay your dog after they go into first heat and its usually more $$...
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thats not what we tell people here at work...Thats why its always trickier to spay your dog after they go into first heat and its usually more $$...
    I agree. And in all my books from the vet schooling I did say that too. Animals have no set schedule to go into heat. They can have mild heats, etc but they can go into heat alot. And alot more often then every 6 months. It is alot harder to spay them after their first heat like Jenny said because chances are they will go in for surgery and be in heat which makes the surgery harder and usually cost alot more $$
  6. Senior Member
    So how often can dogs actually go into heat? And is it normal for dogs to produce milk when they go into heat? Since she is producing milk, that's what made me think it was a false pregnancy..
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *MiSSuS AyErS* View Post
    So how often can dogs actually go into heat? And is it normal for dogs to produce milk when they go into heat? Since she is producing milk, that's what made me think it was a false pregnancy..
    The time frame on how often varies from animal to animal. There is no set time frame for it. False pregnancys can happen tho and it sounds like that may be whats happening if there is no possible way for her to be pregnant. If there is even the remote possiblity she can be pregnant I would make an appt to confirm or rule it out.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaymara View Post
    The time frame on how often varies from animal to animal. There is no set time frame for it. False pregnancys can happen tho and it sounds like that may be whats happening if there is no possible way for her to be pregnant. If there is even the remote possiblity she can be pregnant I would make an appt to confirm or rule it out.
    I really don't think she is pregnant. The only dog she was around while she was in heat was fixed. And she let him know she didn't like him trying to mount her..she broke his peepee. Well technically, she tore the tissue or something around his peepee. I kid you not...she won't even let a male dog try to mount her when she's in heat. She hasn't gained any weight, or anything like that, so I think it's a false pregnancy. Plus, we found out she had a false pregnancy when we first got her, so that makes me think that's what it is even more.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Not to be rude, but have you thought about spaying her? If she is having these issues now, she can end up with some health issues down the road?
  10. Senior Member
    Not to be rude, but have you thought about spaying her? If she is having these issues now, she can end up with some health issues down the road?
    DH wants to breed her and I don't. So that's why we haven't spayed her yet. We probably won't breed her and get her spayed in a couple of months.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast