Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: anyone have great danes?

1. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!

anyone have great danes?

Advertisements
    I have been thinking about possibly getting one once we have our own place and have more room. But wanted input from yall who have em or had em. I wanted a little boy, because I find boy dogs less annoying as girls lol. I have been doing research on them and just not sure if I want another dog (We have a cat, a huge lab mix, and an american bull) yet. espically with all the traveling we have it is such a pain to travel to and from NC or VB and have to kennel or bring them along.
  2. New beginnings
    New beginnings
    this is my dream dog, i cant wait to hear responses!!

xo
    "You might be a big fish in a little pond, doesn't mean you've won, 'cause along might come a bigger one. And you'll be lost."
  3. Senior Member
    We had Great Danes. My husband grew up with them. We had "Cheyenne" which was a female brindle. She was the best dog. We also had "Belle" which was a merle(spotted black and white). We had them when we lived in VA. Someone broke into our yard and stole them. Belle got away from them and was hit and killed. We did get Cheynene back. Sorry back to your question.

They are GREAT dogs. They are so gentle. My daughter would ride them like horses. We had to finally put Cheyenne to sleep because of hip problems. She lived a long life though, she was 10 which is old for a Great Dane.

I would recommend this dog to people. They are called Gentle Giants and it is so true. I hope that helps you alittle.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    We had one growing up. Once I have a big enough backyard, I plan on getting another one. We had a male brindle named Jake. As a pup, my sister used to let him sleep on her twin bed with her. Well, at 6 months old, she was sleeping on the floor and he was in the bed!!! LMAO
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We had a Great Dane for 6 years. He was 4 or 5 when we got him so he lived a long life. What kinds of questions do you have about them?

Grant was a wonderful dog. He was rescued from a kill shelter the day he was to be put to sleep. We went to the rescue to look at a puppy but Grant chose our family. We really weren't sure about a dane that age but when I called her back to let her know that the puppy would not work for us (she had been severely abused and was very scidish) we were told that he had ran to the corner of the yard and sat there barking until he could see us no longer, then he sat there until they had to finally drag him back in. Needless to say we went back and got him. He was a wonderful, wonderful boy. He protected the kids but would never ever hurt them. Even when we played "rough" with him he would put his mouth on you and his mouth would "shiver" as he would not bite down. He loved to ride with us and you could often find him "hanging out" with the kids. He would get up in bed with the kids and sleep with them. When birth parents came for visits he was never far away and was closely watching "his babies".If a baby was crying he would get upset if they weren't quieted quickly and he would stand by to make sure that "his babies" were safe. He was a faithful friend to the very end. The vet was suprised that Grant was even able to walk into the vet. He didn't start to fade until after "his kids" had said good-bye to him and left the room. Then he laid down with his head on my lap and he knew then that it was ok to go. They are wonderful, wonderful, faithful friends. When we are ready to get another we wouldn't think twice about getting another dane.
    Visit my Etsy shop - All Ribboned Out
    Guy meets girl
  6. PvtWinkiesgirl
    I've trained a number of danes. They can be very nice dogs. You'll hear me say this over and over again, buy from an excellent breeder with real credentials. Meet the parents/siblings/ anything from the line that breeder has. When you own a dog that huge, correct temperament is a must.
  7. New beginnings
    New beginnings
    ok, your guy's stories are soo very nice, im sorry cyndilou that someone stole your pups, thats cruel. and donna, i have heard about danes loving to sleep in bed with their fam

what i found soo funny was ste9, how your dog was very protective of the "babies" lol! i think if i ever got a dane and thye did that, i would chuckle each time by how cute it was!!

xo
    "You might be a big fish in a little pond, doesn't mean you've won, 'cause along might come a bigger one. And you'll be lost."
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    we watched out neighbor's dane for about 4 weeks. i loved her to death. she was fun, and goofy, and she's great with the neighbor's baby, but she's kinda dumb. maybe that's just her though. but a great dane is definitly my dream dog as well. if she got along better with our dog, we'd take her from our neighbor since they're looking to get ride of the dogs.
    Last edited by cricketswife; 12-19-2006 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones