Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basset Hounds and Dachshund?

1. Senior Member

Basset Hounds and Dachshund?

Advertisements
    Does anyone have either of these dogs? What do you think about them? Are they good with kids? DH and I are planning on getting a dog very soon and it will either be a basset or a dachshund, but most likely a basset.

2. All You Need Is Love, And That One True Love
    All You Need Is Love, And That One True Love
    doxies are good with kids. just have to be careful with backs. bassets are the same way too. bassets get ear infections a lot so when he or she eats need to pull up there ears. but both are great with kids. bassets are bigger and with stand a little one a little bit better.
  3. christymichelle
    awww bassets are so adorable when they are puppies
  4. Banned
    Banned
    bassets can get VERY big!!!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEIDI View Post
    bassets can get VERY big!!!
    yeah, i know they can get big but they are so adorable and i kinda want something that will get kinda big because sydney can get rough with things.

6. missing him
    missing him
    we have a standard size dachshund and he is the sweetest and most loyal animal ever. He is a mix between a short hair and a long hair so he has in-between hair lol. Very sweet and good with the kids and cats (once he got used to the cats that is). I fully recommend a dachshund.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    we used to have a dach. but she got mean. they are good with kids. i like bassets but their ears get really dirty and have to be cleaned alot because they are so big. also their wrinkles can get infections really easy if they aren't cleaned
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We have a standard size dachshund..hes Aarons doggie and he is so great with Aaron...they are truely best friends. He was 1 already when we got him for Aarons 1st birthday and we thought that would be good then they can grow up together and hes actually the best dog we have ever had.
  9. I'm too cool for words
    I'm too cool for words
    We had a mini doxie in Va. We looooooooooooved her! Doxies are so good with children. We plan to get another one when we move. Basset hounds are nice too, but they tend to have a lot of eye problems.
  10. Senior Member
    We had a bassett hound. He was a very sweet dog and good with our kids. They were little when we got him. The downfall with him was his ears would always get infected and stink and it was hard to keep them clean enough. We had to trim his toenails often and he was very difficult with that. We never could train him to do much. He was house trained when we got him and that was about all he learned. We had to lock up the garbage because he would always get into it. If something smelled like food he would eat it even if it wasn't food. He would eat anything and would eat constantly so we had to watch him. He hated being outside alone. We could never train him to stay outside in the yard or a kennel. He would bark until he was hoarse. So we kept him inside when we were gone. And with his keen sense of smell, he would be off like a shot on scent trail if we didn't keep him on a leash.

Of couse, I am sure not all bassetts would be as bad, but this was just my experience owning one. He was a nice dog otherwise. Very gentle, loving and thought he was a lap dog. He loved to get up in my lap and sleep. Of course, only his head would fit on my lap but he sure would try!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast