Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice from Current or Past Dog Owners

1. Senior Member

Advice from Current or Past Dog Owners

Advertisements
    My husband and I are thinking about adopting a puppy. We're not sure whether or not we are ready, so I wanted to ask advice from people who have adopted dogs and kept them or adopted them and had it not work out.

Our situation is that I am currently a student and have a pretty flexible schedule. My husband, Rob, works pretty much business hours with a few random exceptions. We are still working on buying a house and we are looking in an area where we have friends who are actually adopting a dog from the same litter we are considering.

Our big issue is whether *now* is the time. My schedule is currently very flexible, so I can be home quite a bit to train the puppy and spend time with him. I am going to have to start working probably next fall, but I think I could get the puppy off to a good start (he'd be about a year old) before I start working. Our friends who are adopting one of the other puppies have kids who we could hire to help with dog walking/playing responsibilities during the day.

What have your experiences been? How much responsibility is it really? Is it worth it? How did your life change after getting a dog? If you had it to do over again, would you?

I think the amount of responsibility seems very daunting to us and we're trying to figure out whether it's always going to seem overwhelming, or whether there's going to be some magical time when everything clicks and *that* is the time. Or, if we wait for that perfect time, does that time never come?

Any advice welcome! Thank you!!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't think now is a bad time...you have the flexibility to train it and you will be able to ease him into the transition of both of you being gone at certain hours of the day. Do you know what kind you might get?
  3. Senior Member
    Well, the name sounds kind of silly, but we're looking at getting a goldendoodle. It's a mix between a golden retriever and a poodle. They're supposed to be smart, friendly, non-shedding dogs. Here's a link to Google Images so you can see what they look like:
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ch&sa=N&tab=wi
  4. ash
    i love the red sox
    i love the red sox
    Blog Entries
    omg!we age getting a labradoodle as soon as we find one who is trained for service!!! goldendoodles and labradoodles are adorable...

to answer your question, if you ahve some flexibility to be home, you should be fine, just get a kennel to put it in when you are not home for the first while and eventually you will be able to have it loose. HTH
    this is like a bad movie, and i'd give it a 5 on my netflix
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Getting a dog is a LOT of responsibility. Getting a puppy is a TON of responsibility.

Do I think it's worth it? Yes. But, it is stil a LOT of work. Puppies, in my experience, are just as much work as having a new baby. Potty training, chewing, crying/whining at night, nipping, etc. You just really have to make sure you're 100% willing, able and dedicated to doing some training with the dog. I think you can sometimes get lucky and just get a really good dog that doesn't need a lot of training but I think the majority of them do need training.

I, personally, will never again get a puppy. That's just me though. I'd much rather get a slightly older dog who's past the potty training, chewing, nipping, etc.
  6. Senior Member
    I haven't had a small puppy, when we adopted our dog he was a year old already. I do know that the amount of time and work needed for a small puppy was not feasible with both of us working. You really need to be every 3 hours or less to take them out in the beginning. Even if they housetrain quickly, like Brandi said you have the chewing phase and puppies will chew everything and anything. Our dog was out of that phase and housetrained and he is still a lot of work. But we can leave him during the day knowing he won't go in the house (he has a dog door to get outside) and won't chew everything in sight. I love our dog but based on how much time and attention we have to give him at this age, I'm glad we didn't get a young puppy.
  7. Senior Member
    I cant wait to do it again! We adopted our lab when he was 6 weeks old. I would have liked to see his his parents but it wasn't possable. He got so much bigger than we every thought he would. we ended up giving him to another family because hes just to big for our apartment and we know we'll be moving afew times in the future and we'd rather find him a home here. The puppy days were really easy on us. He chewed one thing. The plugged in cord to our lamp. He did potty in the house alot! he stopped when he was about 8 months old. we spoiled him by taking him every where with us so we had issues when it came time for us to leave him behind. He would bark and poo in the house, only when we were gone. I suggest taking your new pup to a training class. We didnt and I wish we would have. good luck with you decision!
  8. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Puppies are alot of responsiblity, but they're wonderful, we adopted Lucy about a year ago when she was 3 months and we're kinda in the same situation as you. Now would be the best time to get one in my opinion b/c you have the time to train it. I know now, since Lucy was trained when we first got her she is really independent, she does her own thing and we don't have to worry about her messing up the house or anything like that. I'd do it again in a heart beat, but db says 3 pets is enough sooo I say Go For It!!!
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  9. Senior Member
    My DH gave me a puppy for Christmas and I love her, but she is a huge amount of work too! I am very picky about my house and I can't stand for it to smell like pets....YUCK!!

I also just found out that Chaweenie's are the hardest to potty train!! That figures!! She is doing good theough...we have crate trained her. And she is cute too!
    Living life, enjoying Dad's Retirement from the Navy!
  10. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I have a puppy now as well as an adult dog, that we got as an adult. The puppy phase is just like having a baby, you have to get up several times a night to take them out. and they need to play before they get tired enough to sleep. Yes puppies are cute and it is fun at first, like Brandi said there is chewing and biting and if you aren't quick you will get lots of accidents in the house. I would suggest maybe getting a dog less then 2 years old, from a shelter, most are housebroken and some come with manners already. But it is your decision and if you feel like you guys are ready then go for it.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast