Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labradors?

1. Senior Member

Labradors?

Advertisements
    So my husband and I are looking into getting a black lab some time next year, and I am curious if any of you who have a lab could give me advice on any special needs there might be for them? Thanks.
  2. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    With a large breed dog you definitely need to check for hip displaysia. The lab I have back at my parents house has it bad and showed signs of it when she was only 3 years old. She's 7 now, almost 8 and it can be VERY painful and is VERY expensive to have the vet fix with surgery if it's fixable. We haven't had much trouble other than that. They are big dogs and a lab can clear a coffee table with their tail in 2 seconds flat so remember that!!! They need room and are very energetic for the first 4 years or so. They are incredibly loyal and can be very protective. They are very emotional too (at least all the ones we've had) They connected with us on a level so much higher than any other breed I had been around.

Now Dh and I have a mut right now and she's amazingly emotional for us, so maybe it's just us with our dogs! LOL!!!

Good luck!! I wish we could've found a lab here, but they are SOOO expensive!!!!

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  3. Senior Member
    Thank you, I will keep all of your advice in mind!
  4. Esaychick
    i had a yellow lab a long time ago, one of the best dogs ive ever had. but she ended up with somethhing wrong in her hip too. she got to where she couldnt really walk and just laided down all the time. so my dad just had her put to sleep. this was yrs ago tho so i dont remember much of what actually happened to her other than she had a bad hip. maybe its the same thing vinnysgirl was talking about.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I have a Golden lab, Buster and he is one of the best dogs I have ever had. He is so smart. We adopted him from the animal shelter.
  6. I love my Boys!
    I love my Boys!
    We have a black lab. He is a pretty good dog, he just would do alot better if we had a big backyard for him to spend time in. He loves being outside. Other than that he is a very great dog he is very smart and listens really well. He also plays well with other dogs and loves the water. If you have a big enough yard for a lab and the time to exercise them then it would be a great dog for you.
  7. PvtWinkiesgirl
    Obedience class, obedience class, obedience class at a young age! And go to a good breeder.
  8. Cherrish
    Just realize that hip problems are extremely common with labs as they get older....I'm not saying this to discourage you, as all breeds have their own sets of problems, but just to keep it in mind.
    Labs usually make great family dogs with some obedience training, and are very playful puppies.
    Good luck sweetie!
  9. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Also a big dog like a lab can be DESTRUCTIVE when it comes to furniture and doors anything wooden if you don't keep enough around for them to teeth on. They grow fast as puppies and those teeth can tear things apart. Just keep enough rawhide and chew toys and toys in general to keep them busy and they will leave your furniture alone. Just gotta watch them too of course!!! Sometimes they can dig as well, but if you want to stop it we used some cayenne pepper or something hot and spicy and sprinkled it in the holes and they stop digging! LOL!! Doesn't hurt them though, they just aren't keen on the hot stuff they end up sniffing up or licking.

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  10. Senior Member
    Go to a REPUTABLE breeder, not just a good one. Ask your local vet for a reference, or look for the Lab clubs in your area, check the AKC website they are a good place to start. Also VERY important to make sure the parents have hip and elbow certification, and annual ACVO eye certification. This will save you costly vet bills in the future.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast