Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BC or LR?

1. Miaka

BC or LR?

Advertisements
    I really want a Border Collie or a Labrador Retriever, but.. one!

border collie

labrador retriever puppy

I've always wanted a Lab, but my friends neighbors have a Border Collie and she's SO sweet n playful. Can't decide! Which would you think is best?
  2. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    I'm a labrador retriever kind of gal - we've had labs and lab mixes my entire life - they're SUCH good dogs.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I love my big golden lab!!
  4. Miaka
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse Girl View Post
    I'm a labrador retriever kind of gal - we've had labs and lab mixes my entire life - they're SUCH good dogs.
    Yeah, my sister use to have one. He was adorable! but.. they had to give him away because he was getting big. He was trained and everything.
  5. Senior Member
    I had a border collie for a long long time, she was the best dog I could have ever thought of having..

But she wasn't too good with kids, she got nippy sometimes.. She had alot of herding instincts that I couldn't curtail, and it got to be a problem. When we moved off our 40 arcres, and in to the suburbs, she had a really hard tme adjusting.

A lady down the street had a daycare, and she would take the kids out for a walk everyday. They had wagons, and bigwheels, and bicycles, strollers and tricycles. There was at least a dozen kids that would come wheeling up the street.

Twist would shoot out of the yard, and circle the kids as they strolled down the street, she was watching for "strays". She would follow them for about three blocks, running tight circles around them..

She was super smart. I really loved her, but she got heartworms and we had to put her down.. I'd love to get another one, but I don't think I have the ability to properly train one, and provide the means to balance their instinctual needs... Labs are better with kids anyways.. And they have short hair, much better for being inside the house..
  6. Senior Member
    Either breed is a high maintenance, high energy dog. You need to make sure that both parents of both breeds are tested for genetic defects and make sure that what ever breed you go with you dont' get a BYB puppy, you will only have issues in the future.

Borders are great for agility and frizbee but will require TONS of exercise unless you have lots of land for the dog to run on. Labs are great family dogs and will require quite a lot of exercise as well.

Keep in mind that if you are still moving with the military you may run into issues with the size of the dogs when you are trying to rent anyplace that may not have housing.
  7. Senior Member
    well, i am partial to a black lab. ours is a mix and is only 55 lbs. he's fun.
  8. Miaka
    Kay, thanks. I'll also put the military housing into consideration! I totally forgot about that. :inshock
  9. PvtWinkiesgirl
    There is a HUGE HUGE HUGE personality/temperament difference between a lab and a border. Consider the temperament you want in a dog first. Borders are a ton of fun, I fostered one for a year to rehab some behavioral issues, they are SUPER high maintenance mentally. Labs can go either way since they are so popular and the gene pool in enourmous. Just please, PLEASE don't buy from a pet store, support dedicated breeders and rescue groups!

Best of luck with your puppy, whatever you decide!
  10. Miaka
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtWinkiesgirl View Post
    There is a HUGE HUGE HUGE personality/temperament difference between a lab and a border. Consider the temperament you want in a dog first. Borders are a ton of fun, I fostered one for a year to rehab some behavioral issues, they are SUPER high maintenance mentally. Labs can go either way since they are so popular and the gene pool in enourmous. Just please, PLEASE don't buy from a pet store, support dedicated breeders and rescue groups!

Best of luck with your puppy, whatever you decide!
    Thank yas! I usually like buying straight from the person who breeds them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast