Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting a second cat

1. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

Getting a second cat

Advertisements
    Ok, so here is the situation.

We currently have two dogs and a cat. ALL of them get along great. But my cat is a loser and HATES to be cuddles. This really bothers me, and I kinda want another cat. I love my Jasmine, I just think it would be great if she could be a momma to a kitten.

BUT: I cat sat for someone, and when the cat was here, my cat REFUSED to come near the house. She hid outside the entire time. i think it may have to do with the fact that this cat is an only cat in her home with two dogs as well. I think that Jasmine didn't want to fight for terroritary.

This is why I was thinking a kitten would be great because Jasmine would not feel threatened.

So my question is do you think its a bad idea to get a second cat? I want another but Tim thinks that I will always want more pets and I won't stop at just this one.
  2. Senior Member
    We already had 2 cats when we got Brownie. They felt like it was their house and they hated any other animal that walked into the house. Even when we brought their momma here, they refused to go near her and cat fights would occur. When we got Brownie, we put her in her cage and held the cats up to the cage to sniff her out and what not. After a couple of days, we put the cats inside the cage with Brownie. After about a month, they got used to the fact that Brownie was going to live here too and they didn't avoid her as much. Now, I don't think they like her because they still see it as their house, but they tolerate her. It took some time for them to get used to each other, but they're fine.

I say, if you want another cat, go for it! Just remember that it will take time and patience to get your cat used to the new one. Good luck!!
  3. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

see she doesn't hide when there is a new dog in the home only this cat.