Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cats & Amoxicillin

1. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer

Cats & Amoxicillin

Advertisements
    Yes, me of all people has one!

Peewee's paws are getting infected. (Well, only a couple toes.) Anyhow, DJ was talking to his Commander (flight line surgeon) and he prescribed Peewee 250 mgs of Amoxicillin. He said he knew it was too high and to research the right dosage.

So, I think the right dosage for an 11 pound cat would be 110 mgs. BUT that was for powdered Amoxicillin.

SO, if there are any cat owners out there that have given Amoxicillin to their cats before, please, if you remember, let me know the dosage.

Thank you!

******************* DISCLAIMER *********************

We do not have a vet available until December 2, 2006, otherwise I'd call him. I don't want my buddy's toes to fall off!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    do you have to mix with liquid?
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    it sounds right. i just looked at the dropped that we used for Saint. We gave him 1 mL and he is 15lbs
  4. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    No, it's the capsules.
  5. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    Peewee is SO pissed with us. He won't even sleep with us.

So far, we've dipped his toes in betadine. DJ brought home some KY to take his temp with. (Oh he'll be thrilled about that) and now pills 3 times a day.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt View Post
    No, it's the capsules.
    see if DJ can get the pink liquid. i would think that it would be easier to measure.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    also, we had to give it to Saint twice a day
  8. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    This has been such a pain in the ass. I hope I don't have to go through it again with Peekaboo.

Actually, I'm hoping that since she's such a little shit while she's feeling good, maybe she'll be a calm, sweet patient!
  9. Senior Member
    this is the only thing i have found online so far

DOSAGE
    Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

The typical dose of amoxicillin ranges from 5 to 12 mg per pound (10 to 25 mg/kg), two or three times a day.

The duration of administration depends on the condition being treated, response to the medication and the development of any adverse effects. Be certain to complete the prescription unless specifically directed by your veterinarian. Even if your pet feels better, the entire treatment plan should be completed to prevent relapse or prevent the development of resistance.

i agree that you should see if he can get the liquid kind because even if you cut the capsules up, one part may have more medication than another and you don't want to give him too much or too little...poor baby though, i hope you guys can get something done for him and that sucks that there is no one at the vets office to call...you would think that if they were going to do surgeries like these on animals then there would be someone to call if there is a problem