Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: buddy has scabs

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

buddy has scabs

Advertisements
    buddy has some scabs on the inside of one of his back legs. i assume it's from scratching/bitting at the damn fleas that the other dogs brought over. i've been checking him almost every day for fleas and haven't found any in at least a week if not longer. so, i wondering if maybe he's just scratching at bites that were already there...but if so, why would he now be scabbing and not when he acctually had fleas. also, could it leave scars?

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  2. Senior Member
    My Yorkie gets that...come to find out, she's allergic to the flea saliva, so basically she's allergic to flea bites. One flea can give her scabs all over, it's nuts. Just make sure he has flea medication to keep them off and maybe get a "hotspot" spray to stop the itching so it can heal.
  3. Cherrish
    The hotspot spray works....we had a dog that used to just chew at herself for no apparent reason, and we would have to spray this on her....she healed really well, although her fur grew back a different color
  4. God Bless the USA
    God Bless the USA
    Blog Entries
    Our dog Chang is allergic to flea bites as well. On top of this, he has a thyroid problem and suffers with skin issues from that. He chews himself constantly. We have him on a special shampoo and thyroid meds and a good regiment of flea control he also get a cortison (sp) shot once a month. YIKES.
    Good luck.
    I'm Sara
    'Blessed is the man that maketh the Lord his trust'
    Psalm 40:4
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Joy of the Lord is my Strength
    Dear GOD, I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset you made on Tuesday. That was cool!

-Eugene