Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Traveling in cars with dogs

1. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

Traveling in cars with dogs

Advertisements
    I need some help. I will be driving from Nevada to Michigan in my car in December with two dogs.

Do you have any suggestions to make this the easiest as possible?

I have never done a long trip. The longest we have gone was 2 hours to Mt Zion. This trip will be 2 days in the car.

Rory has a hard time going potty while on a leash and I don't know how to help her. Also they don't let us know when its time to go because they have a doggie door.

How often do dogs actually need to use the bathroom, so I can try to plan some trips.
  2. Senior Member
    How old/big are they?

If they aren't used to going on a leash, you should definitely start doing that now instead of having them try it for the first time on the trip. They'll be stressed enough as it is to add having to "perform" on command to that.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I agree with getting them used to leashes now. As for traveling we've done that more times then I can mention. Unfortunetly my old dog got carsick so the vet reccomended benedryl for him and he conked right out during the trip. We stopped every 2 to 3 hours to give him water and let him pee and stretch his legs. Unless it's night travel you can resonablie expect to be able to drive for 4 hours without having to let them out. A good rule of thumb is whenever you have to pee or stop for gas they need to go pee as well. I also wouldn't advise giving them lots of food or water during the trip b/c most dogs do get a bit carsick. If you are worried about potty accidents in the car then put a garbage bag on the seat and the floorboard where they are and cover it with towels that way if there is an accident it will be easy to clean up. Good luck!! Where in Michigan are you going? I grew up in Franklin.
  4. Photographer in Southern CA
    Photographer in Southern CA
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

They were on leashes for over a year, but my one dog refuses to poop on a leash.

We will be in the car for two days so I can't not feed them, I just have to pay special attention to the one and make sure she goes poop. If she doesn't its no biggie, she went 3 days last time before she pooped because she was on a leash while we went camping.
  5. Senior Member
    I'm not much help...my dog will pee 3 times whenever she goes out, leash or not even when she hasnt had anything to drink in hours
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed

don't feed them or give them drinks after midnight the day before you leave so they won't suffer upset stomach on the trip-feed them again when you stop for the day-That was told to us by a Vet & has always worked too-they can drink during the trip though