Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: don't know if this can really be helped....but here is goes anyway

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

don't know if this can really be helped....but here is goes anyway

Advertisements
    my buddy was typically fed twice a day. once in the morning, and once after we were done with dinner. well, since we started sitting the other dogs we have to have food out all the time because they free-feed. there's no way we can get them on a scheduel. well, buddy started eating their food and at first it was fine. we're saving money on his food for right now, since he's little, he doesn't eat that much. but lately, he just will not stop eating! i have to leave the food down while the girls are out, and i have to have the girls out cause i can't just keep them locked up all day. anyway, he's become such a little snot with eating their food, that if i see him going that way, i'll yell to him, and he'll quick run, snatch a piece, and walk away and eat it! i know he's not starved! he's starting to get fat, and i don't now how to keep him from eating their food! any suggestions? i do put the food up when the girls are in their kennels, but other than that, do you think there is anything i could do to get him to either stop eating their food all together, or stop being such a little snot about it?

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  2. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    poor buddy! LOL!! that's gonna be a tough one girl! I say maybe try elevating the girls bowls so he can't get to them. I know they are bigger dogs and he's a smaller one so that might work. That's all I can think of... other than that probably just allowing the girls to only eat at certain times and try to get them on a schedule. Sorry chic!!!

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysGirl View Post
    poor buddy! LOL!! that's gonna be a tough one girl! I say maybe try elevating the girls bowls so he can't get to them. I know they are bigger dogs and he's a smaller one so that might work.
    yea, this might work - they have those stands for bigger dogs to eat out of. that's a hard one. i know if we left food out all day, my dog would eat it all and there would be know way to stop him. but i have a dog that i know could eat himself to death. lol.
  4. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Do the girls eat a different brand/type of dog food? If so, buddy is just probably interested on the different tastes. When we had our dog, he like to eat the cat food and our car liked to eat the dog food...LMAO!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    he does eat a different brand, but i can't figure out how to get him to eat his food with right away like he does their food, or how to keep them from snatching his food from him.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  6. Cherrish
    That's a tough one....you might have to feed them seperately. Like, when you feed him, put him in one room for, say, 30 min. and give him enough time to eat. If he doesn't want to eat, then put his food away until later (that teaches him to eat on a schedule).
    You might also have to put your other dogs on a schedule too....that's all I can think of.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Do the girls eat a different brand/type of dog food? If so, buddy is just probably interested on the different tastes. When we had our dog, he like to eat the cat food and our car liked to eat the dog food...LMAO!
    Mine do the same thing!!
    I would try to elevate it. It's gonna be hard to try to put the on a schedule since they've already been taught they can eat whenever the want. The only way a schedule for the girls would work is if you fed buddy in one room and then fed the girls in another room. Start off doing it more than usual so they don't think you're starving them.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ive thought about feeding them separetly, and tried leaving his food down for so long, and if he doesn't eat it, tuff luck, but he just won't pick up on that. and he FLIPS out if he's in a different room than us, which means he'd be too busy flipping out to even think about eating. we thought about feeding the girls in their kennels, but dh thinks that'll make them protective of their kennels, and since they're in the living room, buddy is around them all the time and we dont want to have the girls snapping on him when he gets close to their kennels.

thanks everyone for the suggestions though!

9. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the kennel thing could start a riot! How about putting the girls in the laundry room or bathroom to eat and then let buddy eat where he's used to or go back in the bedroom with him while he's trying to eat.

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    so i guess this was a pretty pointless question to ask huh?

i can't put the girls in another room cause we live in a 2 bedroom townhouse--no laundry room and the bathrooms aren't big enough for them...hmm...guess i'll just have to let buddy get fat then watch his weight when the girls are gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast