Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone volunteer at an animal shelter?

1. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries

Anyone volunteer at an animal shelter?

Advertisements
    I am dyyying to have more pets, especially some dogs. But I just can't, I live in a small apartment that doesn't allow them, and we just don't really have the space for more guinea piggers (or so dh says ). But I just love animals and would love to volunteer. I just emailed a rescue group in San Diego asking how I could help. Anyone ever volunteer at a shelter? What kind of stuff do they let you do? Is it fun or is it kinda crappy? Never volunteered at a shelter before
  2. achicnsocal
    I actually worked at an animal shelter when I was living in South Carolina and I loved it .. .. I worked front desk and helped with the animals and adoption processes and it was great ... seeing all those babies find homes ..

Probably whatt you'll be doing is helping out with kennell work, maybe helping front desk and helping people when they come in to adopt ( showing them the pets and helping the people handle them )

Good luck!!!
  3. Senior Member
    I used to in high school. I loved it. I wanted to take them all home!! lol
  4. Senior Member
    my friend did her internship at the San Diego humane socity A few years ago when we were in vet asst class. She didnt like it there much. But I guess it depends on what you voulenter for. You can work with the public, walk dogs,clean. You have to go through there orintation. There is also a humane socity in El cajon . Ther are also organizations that I have voulinterd at like friends of cats,project wildlife , horse rescue ,SPCA and that just a few.My mom still lives in San Diego and voulinters sometimes.
  5. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries
    See that is what I"m afraid of, that 1) I will want to adopt all the animals and will just end up really sad seeing that noone is taking them and 2) that I'll just end up cleaning poop and not actually playing with them. I guess I'll just have to wait and see
  6. Senior Member
    I volunteered at a shelter in high school but ended up quitting because I could not handle watching the animals get put down ...I highly suggest a no-kill shelter because it broke my heart everytime an animal had to go.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    I volunteered for 2 years at an Animal shelter in Florida. Its hard work, but its totally worth it. I also spent 1 year working for the Jacksonville Humane Society, but I honestly thought I was going to end up having a nervous break down because I had to see so many of the dogs that I loved end up getting put to sleep. That is the really hard part. Ofcourse, there are many no-kill shelters, so that might be where you want to start.

Volunteering and then working at Animal shelters, I always ended up taking dogs home that needed to be cared for, or puppies who were to young to be put out for adoption yet....it just went on and on. I loved doing it, but like you said, you need to have the space for something like that.

Its a wonderful rewarding experience, and if you are willing to do it, I say go for it.
  8. KevzQueen
    I'd try a no-kill shelter too. We looked into volunteering not long ago. This lady fosters animals until they're adopted. We'll walk dogs and play with them in her yard.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevzQueen View Post
    I'd try a no-kill shelter too. We looked into volunteering not long ago. This lady fosters animals until they're adopted. We'll walk dogs and play with them in her yard.
    A friend of mine and I helped with something like that a few times in HS. It was great getting to see the animals find homes and getting to play with them.
  10. MIA for awhile...
    MIA for awhile...
    I did, at a wildlife & domestic animal welfare league. Basically i started off just cleaning out kennels and sleeping areas, grooming the animals, feeding, walking them, playing with them. I ended up working more on the wildlife side and i helped koalas and joeys of all kinds to get well again so they could be released back into the wild. Its alot of work. But very rewarding.
    Blame your man, not Myspace!!
    Simmy 2009. All rights reserved, copy it and you die.
    Bite me! PLEASE! I want to be a vampire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast