Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Step away from the duck!

1. Am

Shock Step away from the duck!

Advertisements
    I've been home from college for a few days. We have ducks and chickens in the back yard, fenced. Without thinking about it, I let out Flounder and my sister's yorkie to go to the bathroom. I stepped away for a few minutes and went back to the door expecting them to want to be let in. There weren't there. I glance up towards the back of the yard and Flounder is standing there, looking back at me, HOLDING A DUCK BY THE BACK OF ITS NECK! Gracie, the yorkie, is jumping at his side snipping at it. I yelled, "FLOUNDER, NO!" He dropped the duck (who ran off in fear of his life), Flounder tucked his tail and ran to the door, the Yorkie ran off chasing the duck.

I caught up with them, scolded Grace, and made sure the duck was okay. He's absolutely fine and running around.

The dogs have been out on leashes since. I'm so mad at both of them but more than thankful the poor ducky is okay.
  2. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Aww poor ducky! Glad it's okay.

3. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    hahaha... poor flounder! he probably thought he'd found the bestest chew toy ever!

www.SnarkyFit.com
  4. Senior Member

You know it's natural for dogs to want to kill birds, right?

I mean, yeah, it sucks to see, but why are you scolding them for just doing something that is their natural instinct?

The dog hunts chickens in the yard all of the time... she never gets one, but if she ever does, I'm going to let her do with it what she wants. No different than when the cat hunts lizards outside.

If they weren't civilized, they would eat them. Circle of life.
  5. Am
    Quote Originally Posted by GuamALlama View Post

You know it's natural for dogs to want to kill birds, right?

I mean, yeah, it sucks to see, but why are you scolding them for just doing something that is their natural instinct?

The dog hunts chickens in the yard all of the time... she never gets one, but if she ever does, I'm going to let her do with it what she wants. No different than when the cat hunts lizards outside.

If they weren't civilized, they would eat them. Circle of life.
    That's what DF said. Flounder's even a retriever during hunting season so it's something he's been trained to do I guess. But that's with dead ones. He knows better than to chase the lives ones which is why I only had to say "NO" one time for him to drop it. Also, we're at my mom's where he sees this ducks all the time, fenced in. One just happened to get out and I hadn't realized it. At my dad's they're just wild ones.

He needs to know the difference though. We raise ducks in the summer.

I think when he was chasing the duck his instincts got the better of him. I don't think he expected to catch it (this duck can't fly). He didn't hurt it one bit. He was just carrying it around headed to the house. I think he wanted to bring it inside. "Mom, can I keep it?!"
  6. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaHokie View Post
    That's what DF said. Flounder's even a retriever during hunting season so it's something he's been trained to do I guess. But that's with dead ones. He knows better than to chase the lives ones which is why I only had to say "NO" one time for him to drop it. Also, we're at my mom's where he sees this ducks all the time, fenced in. One just happened to get out and I hadn't realized it. At my dad's they're just wild ones.

He needs to know the difference though. We raise ducks in the summer.

I think when he was chasing the duck his instincts got the better of him. I don't think he expected to catch it (this duck can't fly). He didn't hurt it one bit. He was just carrying it around headed to the house. I think he wanted to bring it inside. "Mom, can I keep it?!"
    LMAO I can totally see that face glad the duck is ok!
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Aww poor ducky! I'm glad it's ok! He probably thought it was the coolest toy ever!