Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so frustrated with my cat

1. Senior Member

Grumpy I'm so frustrated with my cat

Advertisements
    Johns ready to give him away or stick him outside. I don't know how much longer I can convince him not to. Hes peeing on things again and now hes clawed up the back of our couch. We've had the cat for 3 years and hes never damaged any of our stuff. Over the past 3 weeks hes ruined our couch. I thought he was peeing on stuff because the litter box hadn't been getting cleaned properly. The other day I found out its been months since Cory dumped all the litter, scrubbed the box and started over with fresh litter. Hes supposed to do that once a month along with weekly scoopings. I can't blame the cat for not wanting to pee in old litter. Its been clean for a week and hes still peeing in random places. I highly doubt his sick. Last time I thought he might be I went to the trouble to take him to the vet and she did jack crap. I walked out with meds but didn't really know if was sick or not. He hates riding in the car. He barfs and poops EVERY time. He sheds like crazy, gets a fever and tries to attack everyone. I've showed him his litter box several times now. He knows its clean. I've put him in the laundry room with the door closed so he would know the box the was clean. I'm going to put up the dog crate and put the cat in there with his food, water and litter box. Hopefully after a day or so he'll start using the box again.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Has something changed in his surroundings?
  3. Senior Member
    The only thing that changed is some closets. we closed up one in one room, opened it up in another room and built a new closet. Nothing that effects him. The room with most change he doesn't even go in. The rest of the house is the same. If he cant handle some simple remodeling I don't know what we can do with him. We are in the process of getting new carpet and flooring throughout the house. If he pees on the new stuff I'll put him outside myself.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like it could be UTI to me. My cat had that a few years ago and she peed on everything in sight because she couldn't control it because the infection was so bad. I hope that he is better soon.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    yeah Maybe take him to the vet and rule out anything
  6. Member
    Is he fixed?
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

He's gotten into the habit of peeing outside the litter box its gonna take time to get him back there. Plus once he's stunk up other places hell keep going there. You need a urine odor eliminator like natures miracle for the places he's peed to help keep him from peeing there.

It is possible that there's a health issue, but other than that, this looks like an owner problem, not a cat problem.
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

i heard using water with some white vinegar will take away the smell, can you try that? I hope you things figured out!
  9. Regular Member
    I agree with everyone who said its might be a UTI or other infection, I would at least call the vet, but he should probably actually be seen if you can make that happen. Dramatic behavior changes can often indicate some kind of health problem. We have two cats and clean the box at least twice a day (usually more) I can't imagine having it scooped once a week is enough at all. I don't know what to tell you about the scratching, we keep a small water squirter in the house and when ours misbehave they get a quick squirt. If you need a good oder eliminator we use urine-off (which we get from the vet) for those occasional 'missed the box' moments and it works really well.
  10. Senior Member
    You need to buy a new litter box. It really needs to be scooped at least once a day and better if it is a couple times a day.

You may need to find a new location for the litterbox as well. If anything causes "bad experiences" some cats will simply not use the litterbox there any more.
    We get the heavy duty litter bags and doubl bag the litterbox so that the urine smells do not permeate the box. For my cats, if it smells like urine they simply will not use the box. Most cats are very finicky.

Here is some help for retraining them to use the litterbox.

First, give him a new litterbox with clean litter. Cats usually prefer a fine-grained litter, and are not particularly fond of scented litter. Once you've found the brand of litter your cat prefers, don't change brands. (Save your coupon-shopping for products less critical.) Pour about two to three inches of litter into the box--more is not only wasteful, but ineffective.

Put the litterbox in a quiet place--cats are very private about their elimination and don't care to be observed. Make sure it's not next to noisy appliances, as that will distract and disturb him. There are a number of new litter box products on the market that feature privacy in one way or another. Just be sure the box is placed in an area where other cats can't sneak up and intimidate the cat who is using it.

If the box sits on a hard, cold surface, you should consider putting a carpet remnant or washable rug under it, as cats like to scratch around the box. It should be in an easily-accessible location. Young kittens and senior cats may not be able to climb stairs easily.

Multi-cat households should ideally have one litterbox per cat plus one extra. (We have five boxes for three cats.) Most important: scoop the solid particles out at least daily, and change the litter completely ever three days or so, washing the pan thoroughly with plain detergent and water or a mild bleach solution (rinse well).

Next, you need to remove every bit of evidence of his urine from the place he's been using. There are a number of cleaning products marketed for this purpose, but you can start with plain dishsoap and water on a hard-surface floor, and a regular carpet cleaning solution on carpets, provided the urine is fresh. Caution: don't use a cleaning product containing ammonia. The cat will smell it as urine and attempt to cover it with his own scent by peeing again. Plain soda or seltzer water can be effective in neutralizing freshurine odor, but for badly soiled carpeting , you'll need an enzyme-based product. There are a number of new products on the market for removing the scent of urine.
    You can finish by temporarily putting aluminum foil over the area where the cat has peed. Cats don't like the noise and feel of aluminum foil, and as long as they have a new, clean litter box, the switch should be successful.

Once you've set your plan into action, watch your cat and praise him every time he uses his box. This retraining can take time, but with dedication and patience, you and your cat can once again live in peace.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast