Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish she would just get it!!!

1. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!

I wish she would just get it!!!

Advertisements
    Jimmy is doing really well with his house breaking but Lily is not!!!! She just won't go potty outside!!!! Thankfully she is pee pad trained but I wish she would just see what Jimmy is doing and follow suit. I don't know what else to do!! Plus it doesn't help hearing my DH bitch about it and saying he wants to get rid of her I'm like "Well at least she isn't going on the carpets!!"
  2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

It takes time She has to be completely retrained. I know you don't want to deal with the accidents, but having the pee pads still available to her inside will make it a LOT harder to break her of using them. You need to get a nice big bottle of Natures Miracle and lose the pee pads all together. She was tought from from a puppy that it was ok to pee in the house on those pads... so she still thinks it's ok to pee in the house because the pads are still there and they were always ok to pee on before.
  3. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    It takes time She has to be completely retrained. I know you don't want to deal with the accidents, but having the pee pads still available to her inside will make it a LOT harder to break her of using them. You need to get a nice big bottle of Natures Miracle and lose the pee pads all together. She was tought from from a puppy that it was ok to pee in the house on those pads... so she still thinks it's ok to pee in the house because the pads are still there and they were always ok to pee on before.
    I had a feeling that is what I have to do.....Nature's Miracle is the best though! It also doesn't help with all the rain we have been having either.
  4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal520 View Post
    I had a feeling that is what I have to do.....Nature's Miracle is the best though! It also doesn't help with all the rain we have been having either.

When Emmie was a puppy if the grass was wet she wouldn't pee and would go in the house. I had to suck it up and sit out there with her on the leash until she went. Sometimes it'd be 45 minutes, but not letting her in til she went made her learn to go outside and eventually she started going right away so she wasn't stuck out there getting wet. I was also housebreaking her in the snow in Maine... that sucked, but I had to sit out there in storms until she went.
  5. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    The vet at work told me to try moving the pads slowly to the back door and then eventually move them outside and then remove them all together.....what do you think?? Also she does great with her crate, she has never had an accident in it and will actually go in it by herself when I say "kennel". The vet also told me if I take her outside and she doesn't go within 5 minutes, bring her back in and put her in the kennel for about 10 minutes then take her back outside.
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

The vet at work told me to try moving the pads slowly to the back door and then eventually move them outside and then remove them all together.....what do you think?? Also she does great with her crate, she has never had an accident in it and will actually go in it by herself when I say "kennel". The vet also told me if I take her outside and she doesn't go within 5 minutes, bring her back in and put her in the kennel for about 10 minutes then take her back outside.

I don't know about the pad suggestion but the crate suggestion is great. That's what I did when I was housebreaking my dogs. If they didn't go they went in the crate and I took them out again in a little bit. I'd repeat it until they went.
  7. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I think I am going to try the crate thing first.....I am so tired of pee pads! Also hopefully seeing Jimmy go potty outside and then being able to run around in the house might show her and make her think "Hey all I gotta do to be able to run around the house too is potty outside".......I hope!
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Sad

I think I am going to try the crate thing first.....I am so tired of pee pads! Also hopefully seeing Jimmy go potty outside and then being able to run around in the house might show her and make her think "Hey all I gotta do to be able to run around the house too is potty outside".......I hope!

I would expect it to take several months to house train her.
  9. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    I would expect it to take several months to house train her.
    I figured because it took us almost until she was one to get her trained to the pee pads. Gotta have patient I guess.....and lots of it!
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

I figured because it took us almost until she was one to get her trained to the pee pads. Gotta have patient I guess.....and lots of it!

Yup, it's going to take a good long time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast