Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pitbulls are NOT mean

1. Banned
    Banned

Pitbulls are NOT mean

Advertisements
    I'm moving home during DH deployment and am trying to find a place to stay. Every place I've called doesn't allow pitbulls. Yes..there are some pitbulls that do horrible things but there are A LOT of other dogs capable of the same or have done the same. It's just that they focus on pitbulls in the media and only put bad stories on the news. My dog is the sweetest dog I've ever been around! How can they ban certain breeds..ughh..that's such crap and TICKS me off lol OH and they used to be the #1 family pet.

sorry just venting..
  2. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    I agree 100000000000000000000000000000% I have 2 pitt mixes and they are the BEST dogs in the world!!!
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  3. I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I'm Only A Little Crazy
    This should probably have gone in debates because thats probably how it will end up
  4. Senior Member
    Pits may not be "mean" but they have to carry a huge liability policy on peoples insurance in some places and some companies and that is why places won't take them.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I totally agree. It's sad that the few pitbulls that are mean, end up giving a bad rep for the rest of them.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Also, any dog can be "mean", it depends on how they are treated and brought up I guess.
  7. Senior Member
    If you're renting it's an insurance issue. Sucks, but they don't know *your* dog. I'm willing to bet other breeds are on the banned list as well that are not all aggressive.

Every pit owner Ive known has been aware of potential bans and breed stereotypes before they got their dog and were able to work around it. Good luck finding a place to stay.

8. Senior Member
    I'm with you, OP. My aunt had a pitbull mix that she rescued and she is the sweetest dog ever! And so good to my aunt's two boys.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    exactly! It all depends on the owners! If an owner is mean and horrible to any dog then of course the dog is going to be mean!

Thought this was interesting:

Here are some Facts about the "Pit Bull":

The American Pit Bull Terrier was bred to be submissive to man

Pit Bulls have a strong desire to please their owners, more then any other breed.

In England, Pit Bulls have such a widespread reputation as being great with children that they are nicknamed, "The Nanny Dog."
    Pit Bulls do NOT have locking jaws
    The American Staffordshire Terrier gained AKC recognition in 1936, but under the name Staffordshire Terrier. The AKC added the word "American" to the name in 1972 to differentiate the breed from AKC's newly recognized Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    In 1898, the United Kennel Club (UKC) formed for the purpose of providing registration and fighting guidelines for the American Pit Bull Terrier. Years later, Pit Bull owners wanting to distance themselves from the fighting aspect of the breed petitioned the American Kennel Club (AKC) for recognition of the Pit Bull so that the breed could compete in AKC dog shows and other performance events.
    Nipper, the famous RCA dog, was a Pit Bull.
    Dog Jack, a canine war hero during the Civil War, was a Pit Bull.
    Alaska's first certified hearing dog was a Pit Bull
    World War I and II posters feature Pit Bulls as mascots for the United States of America.
    Stubby, America's First War Dog, was a Pit Bull and is one of the most highly decorated dogs in U.S. history.
    Helen Keller owned a Pit Bull
    Pete the Pup of the Little Rascals was a Pit Bull
    The American Pit Bull Terrier is considered the strongest dog in the world for it's size.
    The Pit Bull's intelligence, trainability and pleasant nature, make him an ideal canidate for therapy work with people.
  10. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
    If you're renting it's an insurance issue. Sucks, but they don't know *your* dog. I'm willing to bet other breeds are on the banned list as well that are not all aggressive.

Every pit owner Ive known has been aware of potential bans and breed stereotypes before they got their dog and were able to work around it. Good luck finding a place to stay.
    I did not know about breed bands I was 18 and have never had to rent or anything in the past.

I vote that people have to have EVERY dog interviewed before moving into an apartment and then be judged by the DOG if they are aggressive or not
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast