Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate my vet

1. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training

Grumpy I hate my vet

Advertisements

I have been wanting to change my vet for a while, but today totally did me in.

She was going to give my little 13lb doxie 7 vaccines today!! WTF!!! This can not be normal!!!

So I insisted I come back next week for 2 of them, and we did 5 today. And he got poked with a 6th needle so they could get a blood sample. I feel so bad for my little guy

He's doing fine, just a little swelling at a couple of the injection sites. I'm going to give him some more anti-inflammatory stuff in a little bit. I hate to keep giving him medicine.

And I was really annoyed at the end of my visit, when she tried to sell me on $100+ worth of dental crap and flea/tick stuff! She says K9 Advantix doesn't work... I think Banfield is just being paid to sell their patients this other brand.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

7 vax's? Like what? I doubt your dog was injected 5 or 7 differnt times.

Dhlpp is one shot covering 5 things. Rabies is another shot. Kennel cough is a shot or via nose. There are a couple others that are less common.

If you tell me what your bill says I can explain it. However, its perfectly normal to have dhlpp and rabies at the same time. Also common to add kennel cough if you'll be boarding.
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Julianne View Post

I have been wanting to change my vet for a while, but today totally did me in.

She was going to give my little 13lb doxie 7 vaccines today!! WTF!!! This can not be normal!!!

So I insisted I come back next week for 2 of them, and we did 5 today. And he got poked with a 6th needle so they could get a blood sample. I feel so bad for my little guy

He's doing fine, just a little swelling at a couple of the injection sites. I'm going to give him some more anti-inflammatory stuff in a little bit. I hate to keep giving him medicine.

And I was really annoyed at the end of my visit, when she tried to sell me on $100+ worth of dental crap and flea/tick stuff! She says K9 Advantix doesn't work... I think Banfield is just being paid to sell their patients this other brand.

Banfeild has a bad rep in a lot of places. We haven't had too bad of a time here.. other than the desk girls being too stupid to pay attention to what you're askinf for and giving you all the wrong things and sizes.

I've used K9 Advantix for years. I've never seen a flea on my dogs, ever.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I agree most of the shots are combined like the distemper...I get it without lepto...

Ive worked in the vet field and I cant even tell you 7 vaxs a dog can get thats seperated.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Banfeild has a bad rep in a lot of places. We haven't had too bad of a time here.. other than the desk girls being too stupid to pay attention to what you're askinf for and giving you all the wrong things and sizes.

But see thats your experience with it..And the vet may have her own opinion. Like I would never use a topical flea med again and I think a pill works better.

You should be able to use what you choose.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Oh and banfield would be the last place id take my dogs.
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    But see thats your experience with it..And the vet may have her own opinion. Like I would never use a topical flea med again and I think it works better.

You should be able to use what you choose.
    That's what I was saying.. she wanted to use the K9 advantix and they told her it doesn't work, which isn't true. I don't care what people want to do to keep their dogs from getting fleas, just don't blatently lie
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My friend who is a vet does say that certain topicals do not work in certain areas of the country.

But again if someone wants to use product xyz it should be their choice.
  9. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    7 vax's? Like what? I doubt your dog was injected 5 or 7 differnt times.

Dhlpp is one shot covering 5 things. Rabies is another shot. Kennel cough is a shot or via nose. There are a couple others that are less common.

If you tell me what your bill says I can explain it. However, its perfectly normal to have dhlpp and rabies at the same time. Also common to add kennel cough if you'll be boarding.
    My bad -- my OP isn't completely accurate. Here's what they did today:

1. shot of diphenhydramine (anti-inflammatory prior to vaccines)
    2. leptospirosis 4-way vaccine
    3. lyme disease vaccine
    4. rabies vaccine
    5. distemper parvo DAP vaccine
    6. canine bordetella (nasal, not an injection)
    7. one last poke for a blood sample

And then they want me to come in next week for 2 more vaccines: giardia & corona virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post

My feelings about Banfield are mixed but mostly negative, hence I am canceling my BS insurance plan with them and changing vets altogether. They try to make it out to seem like you are getting some great 'savings' by having an insurance plan, but their prices are sooo outrageous! I can't believe that they offered to express his anals.. for a mere $26! I'm taking a look at my bill from today's 'comprehensive' exam, and his "opthalmic exam" was $9.50, "otoscopic exam" was $13.50, and his "neurological exam" was $24.95. give me a break!!!! all of these things take a minute or less, and would be included in the normal $40 or so exam visit at any other vet.

I have used Advantix for 2 years, and I've never seen a single flea on my dog. Only a couple ticks, and that was when we were living in a rural area and running around in woods and tall grass. I don't think anything would entirely protect him from ticks at that point.
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Julianne View Post
    My bad -- my OP isn't completely accurate. Here's what they did today:

1. shot of diphenhydramine (anti-inflammatory prior to vaccines)
    2. leptospirosis 4-way vaccine
    3. lyme disease vaccine
    4. rabies vaccine
    5. distemper parvo DAP vaccine
    6. canine bordetella (nasal, not an injection)
    7. one last poke for a blood sample

And then they want me to come in next week for 2 more vaccines: giardia & corona virus.

My feelings about Banfield are mixed but mostly negative, hence I am canceling my BS insurance plan with them and changing vets altogether. They try to make it out to seem like you are getting some great 'savings' by having an insurance plan, but their prices are sooo outrageous! I can't believe that they offered to express his anals.. for a mere $26! I'm taking a look at my bill from today's 'comprehensive' exam, and his "opthalmic exam" was $9.50, "otoscopic exam" was $13.50, and his "neurological exam" was $24.95. give me a break!!!! all of these things take a minute or less, and would be included in the normal $40 or so exam visit at any other vet.

I have used Advantix for 2 years, and I've never seen a single flea on my dog. Only a couple ticks, and that was when we were living in a rural area and running around in woods and tall grass. I don't think anything would entirely protect him from ticks at that point.

The ONLY reason I have stayed with Banfield for now is because it's $300 for the first year, all of the shots, visits, fecal exams, spay etc. I paid $400 just for a spay for my tiny dog so the $300 for EVERYTHING for the first year seamed worth it to me.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast