Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Question-Doggie

1. Texas Born & Rasied
    Texas Born & Rasied

Food Question-Doggie

Advertisements
    He does not chew his food. I think he is still small for his age. The vet says, maybe when he was a pubby he had tons of brothers and sisters and had to fight for food.

I just thought he would be bigger by now?

Any ideas, what about switching to wet food, would that help on weight. He is on science diet dry food now?
  2. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    He doesn't chew his food? Does he swallow it whole?? Is he still eating at least?

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    put a ball or some sort of object in the bowl with his food. This should slow him down bc he has to eat around it.

see if that works
  4. Senior Member
    Is he eating his food? Just eating really fast? A lot of dogs don't chew their food. Farley scarfs his down like it's his first meal of his life and the oinker is not hurting for food. I spread his out on a cookie sheet and it slows him down alot. But he still does not chew it, more grunts it down.

What did the vet say about his weight, did he seem concerned? You want a dog of heathly proportions, defined waist, the ribs should feel like your knuckles when you rub your hand over the back of the other hand. Wet food is not going to pack on the pounds. You need to adjust the intake of his dry food. Maybe give him more. Feed based on the package directions. Go to a better quality food.
  5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Is he eating his food? Just eating really fast? A lot of dogs don't chew their food. Farley scarfs his down like it's his first meal of his life and the oinker is not hurting for food. I spread his out on a cookie sheet and it slows him down alot. But he still does not chew it, more grunts it down.

What did the vet say about his weight, did he seem concerned? You want a dog of heathly proportions, defined waist, the ribs should feel like your knuckles when you rub your hand over the back of the other hand. Wet food is not going to pack on the pounds. You need to adjust the intake of his dry food. Maybe give him more. Feed based on the package directions. Go to a better quality food.

Stormy eats the same way The "slow down" bowl doesn't even slow her down

I agree with everything you said. You're not looking for what he weighs as much as if he is proportioned and healthy.
  6. Texas Born & Rasied
    Texas Born & Rasied
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    He doesn't chew his food? Does he swallow it whole?? Is he still eating at least?
    He does not chew it at all, swallows it whole. As ya'll see from the pic, he is a yellow lab. He is bigger than that now. He is about 55 pounds.

I will try the bowl thing... Ladies...
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    sometimes for awhile when my dogs were puppies too I'd mix water in with their kibble...it softened it up and seemed to make it easier for them to eat.
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    he may just be a smaller dog. how old is he? also dogs go through growth spurts ( especially larger breeds) where they look gangly and too skinny, but it will slow down.
    maybe switch to a larger size of food. For instance if his food is small chunks see if they make it in a bigger size that could slow him down some if he has to actually chew it. My bigger dog actually hates the big chunks because she can't just hoark it down.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by armywifey_tx View Post
    He does not chew it at all, swallows it whole. As ya'll see from the pic, he is a yellow lab. He is bigger than that now. He is about 55 pounds.

I will try the bowl thing... Ladies...

How old is he?

My lab just inhales her food too. She doesn't chew it at all and I feed her with a slow down bowl... as long as he's eating I don't see what the problem is
  10. Texas Born & Rasied
    Texas Born & Rasied
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    How old is he?

My lab just inhales her food too. She doesn't chew it at all and I feed her with a slow down bowl... as long as he's eating I don't see what the problem is
    He is a year in sept...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast