Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! She refuses to eat or drink.

1. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Help HELP! She refuses to eat or drink.

Advertisements
    We got a dachshund puppy Tuesday and she is really struggling with eating and drinking.

I took her to the vet and all her tests came back negative and they said she just had the 'blues.' They gave me some special canned food for her to eat and she eats only half a can a day.

She sticks her nose up to water so I pour some over the little bit of can food she eats and I've even gave her water from a straw. She seems happy/content though I just don't want her to get dehydrated and she turns her nose up to the dry food she was eating before we got her.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  2. Am
    Flounder was like that when we brought him home at first. I had to smoosh wet food and dilute it with water. He drank the nasty water and loved it. He eventually progressed to wet and then dry food. Turns out he was never weaned. They just snatched him from his mom and gave him to us (at FOUR weeks).

If this continues, take her to the vet again.
  3. 웃♥유
    웃♥유
    Born and raised in Cleveland Ohio, but currently in Oklahoma City.
    I just got a puppy in march and she was the same way, why dont you try mixing a TINY bit of puppy soft food and mix it in? Thats what we did and eventually the pup came around and ate.. We dont mix the soft in anymore tho.
  4. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

ooo, What's a good brand of soft food?

She was eating the hard eukenuba brand but I think it's too much on her teeth, even if they say that's what she was eating.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  5. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    If she is eating wet food she may not need water. There is a fair amount of water in wet food that they may not drink as much.
    Hard food won't be hard on her teeth and is actually quite good for her teeth and breath. We had a doxie who only ate wet food and her breath was skank. terrible.
    You can also try soaking her dry food in some water and blending it up ( kind of chunky) it will help her wean to hard food.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

6. 웃♥유
    웃♥유
    Born and raised in Cleveland Ohio, but currently in Oklahoma City.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope. View Post
    ooo, What's a good brand of soft food?

She was eating the hard eukenuba brand but I think it's too much on her teeth, even if they say that's what she was eating.
    Yeah the people we got her from had our pup on the same food and we quickly changed her over to Canidae puppy food and soft food. Its for all stages and really nutritious. She loves it
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    When Brigs got home after having parvo he pretty much had to be taught how to eat and drink again. One of the things that really worked but was gross was Pedialite We would put it over his dry food so he would want to drink the pedialite but would need to eat to get to it. It really took a few days and a lot of patience. We also gave him water through a dropper. He eventually took to water and food again. good Luck.
  8. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

When we got our male doxie last year as an 8 week old puppy, he did the same thing. We put him on the Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Small & Toy Breed formula dry food with a little of the Savory Sauce Country style Chicken Flavor for Puppies. We tried it without the sauce first, but he wasn't thrilled with the food. We added the sauce to it and let it sit on the food for a bit to soften it a bit.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Hope how old is she?

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Quote Originally Posted by iLybabi. View Post
    Yeah the people we got her from had our pup on the same food and we quickly changed her over to Canidae puppy food and soft food. Its for all stages and really nutritious. She loves it
    I'm assuming that's something only found at petsmart/petco. Thanks I'll def. give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    If she is eating wet food she may not need water. There is a fair amount of water in wet food that they may not drink as much.
    Hard food won't be hard on her teeth and is actually quite good for her teeth and breath. We had a doxie who only ate wet food and her breath was skank. terrible.
    You can also try soaking her dry food in some water and blending it up ( kind of chunky) it will help her wean to hard food.
    I don't want to deal with bad doggy breath. I'll try the blending too, anything to help. I hope this is just a stage that goes away after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by *MarineBug420* View Post
    When Brigs got home after having parvo he pretty much had to be taught how to eat and drink again. One of the things that really worked but was gross was Pedialite We would put it over his dry food so he would want to drink the pedialite but would need to eat to get to it. It really took a few days and a lot of patience. We also gave him water through a dropper. He eventually took to water and food again. good Luck.
    I could see how the pedialite would help fight dehydration, hmmm. That's not a bad idea and if she gets weak again then I'll def. do that as well.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast