Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Training a rescue?

1. formerly tickllexmexpink
    formerly tickllexmexpink

Love Training a rescue?

Advertisements
    Today I adopted a little 3 year old chihuahua/pekingese girl from the spca. At the adoption center she was just curled up in the corner sleeping and scared. They said that she came from a hoarder house who had 33 dogs now we have her at home, and as we speak she is laying here outside in the grass! She doesn't like to walk on a leash, and she lays down much more than she stands up or walks around. We've had her home for a few hours and she's been outside but has yet to go potty. I'm a little clueless as to where to start training a 3 year old dog, and I don't know what she's used to. Any advice?

Football season isn't the same
  2. formerly tickllexmexpink
    formerly tickllexmexpink

3. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    I'm not sure how to train a rescue dog, but I do know you need to let her get used to her surroundings. Let her be for a while, she probably is nervous, scared and doesn't know what's going on quite yet.

4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Train her just as you would with a puppy. Be consistant and firm . The leash will take time just like with a puppy. Just keep doing it and eventually she'll get it.
  5. I Check PerezHilton Before CNN
    I Check PerezHilton Before CNN
    I adopted my dog from a shelter and she was so skiddish at first, but we kind of let her alone. I'd feed her, pet her, and walk away. Sooner or later, she realized I wasn't gonna hurt her and she is now the friendliest dog EVER. Give it some time
  6. Love Me, Love My Dog
    Love Me, Love My Dog
    Blog Entries
    you have to build trust with her first, you said it's only been a few hours so she has not had any time to adjust to surroundings and just by the sounds of thing...being in a house with 32 other dogs they most likely formed their own pack and now I'm guess you only have her? right...just let her alone the first couple days...reward her for any good actions that you want her to continue I would not start any discipline JUST yet. Just so you know I am a trainer...PM me in a couple days and tell what you notice she does with certain things, when she eats...write in a notebook maybe some things you want to work on, it's hard sometimes explain things in writing I will help you as much as I can!

I got wifeys
    SOS WIFEY TO SNARPHBLAT, CHELS, SAMANTHA, & SOS MISTRESS TO SAMSET

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i just adopted a rescue 3 weeks ago. it's taken him time to get settled in & learn a routine. if you dog came from a hoarder, she was probably caged & is thus used to going whenever & wherever. that makes her a poor candidate for crate training. you may wanna try piddle pad training. get the ones with pheremones in it to attract her.

how big is she? i'm not sure they make a halti that small, but i love halti's for solving leash problems.
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    i just adopted a rescue 3 weeks ago. it's taken him time to get settled in & learn a routine. if you dog came from a hoarder, she was probably caged & is thus used to going whenever & wherever. that makes her a poor candidate for crate training. you may wanna try piddle pad training. get the ones with pheremones in it to attract her.

how big is she? i'm not sure they make a halti that small, but i love halti's for solving leash problems.

I was really lucky. When I had gotten Lilah, she was rescued from a puppy mill and had been caged since birth... but she was only 12 weeks when I got her. She was fully housebroken in less than 2 weeks.

They do make tiny Halti's
  9. formerly tickllexmexpink
    formerly tickllexmexpink
    she's actually doing really well! it's been a few days and she's getting used to the crate training.. i put her in there and night and she doesn't make a peep until i wake up in the morning.. i take her straight outside when i get up and the past couple days she has gone right away i'm so proud of her so far what i've noticed is she isn't very fond of toys, she likes to chew on little pieces of pig's ear, she won't go up or down stairs or walk on a leash. With the stairs, she will go up one or two if there is a treat waiting but then she makes herself like fall down them she will come to you, but when you go to pick her up she'll run away.. she's gotten a little better, she will come and jump up on my leg when she wants to go back in the house, but then crouch down and try to run away when i try to pick her up.. once i'm holding her she's ok though. hmmm i'm trying to think of what else.. oh yea, if i'm in the room and she's in her crate she's fine, but once i leave she starts crying, i'm pretty sure she'll get used to being in there alone though.. it's been 2 days since she's had an accident!!

... and here's Lucy!