Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Cough... poor doggie :(

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Confused Kennel Cough... poor doggie :(

Advertisements
    We had Asia boarded over the weekend while DB was in Texas and while I was in Vegas for my bff's wedding.

Yesterday I came home and heard this god-awful noise coming from the backyard where her kennel is (she has a HUGE 500 sq. ft. kennel that she stays in while we're not home during the day).... So I go outside and she's making this HORRIBLE hoarse coughing noise, followed by a really nasty wretching sound, like she's trying to either gag something up or make herself puke.

Of course, my first reaction was that she may have swallowed something... so I looked down her mouth.... didn't see anything.... and she was breathing just fine

So I called DB and asked if he thought I needed to take her to the ER Vet. He said she probably has kennel cough from the damn kennel. So I called the Vet and asked what they thought. They asked a few questions and said that it might be a good idea to bring her in for a check-up. So I made an appointment for Monday (apparently it was the soonest they could get her in). And the lady told me not to worry too much, and to make sure she drank a lot of water.

But Asia just seems so miserable. She sounds like she has a bunch of shit in her lungs.... and whenever she gets up to move around, she starts coughing and hacking. I removed her collar so that it wouldn't be further irritating her throat.... and we've been having her drink lots of water.... but I'm not sure if I should wait till Monday.

I've never had a sick dog before so I have no idea how serious it actually is. Her breath stinks (usually it doesn't) and she's coughing... and she has a runny nose. Last night she coughed up a blob of white snotty shit.

I've called 2 places and they both said it's not an emergency.... and to make sure she goes in on Monday..... but.... idk. Am I overreacting?

I just hate seeing her so miserable
  2. Member
    awww poor pup!
    hope she feels better soon, and that it is easily treatable
  3. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    I'd call the kennel and inform them your dog got kennel cough from their kennel!

I've never delt with kennel cough so I don't know how serious it is. But if you've called 2 places and they told you to wait, I guess they know what they're talking about right? I hope your doggie will get better soon

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    I'd call the kennel and inform them your dog got kennel cough from their kennel!

I've never delt with kennel cough so I don't know how serious it is. But if you've called 2 places and they told you to wait, I guess they know what they're talking about right? I hope your doggie will get better soon
    Yeah, I did call them. We did a LOT (LOT) of research before deciding on a kennel. We chose this one because it had the best reviews in the area, the facilities were spotless (didn't smell like animals were there AT ALL).... and the organization we adopted her from said that it's the best in the area.

I don't think it has anything to do with cleanliness or whatever.... their intake process was pretty involved... had to fill out tons of paperwork, show proof of all her shot records, mandatory flea/tick treatment upon arrival, mandatory bath, etc.

She's UTD on all of her shots.... but is due for one of the boosters (I forget which) on her second birthday at the end of May.

IDK... I had tons of dogs growing up (all of which lived extremely long and happy lives), but we never had to board them because we had 40 acres for them to roam around on. So all of this is "kennel" business is relatively new to me

I just feel so bad. I wish I could make it better
  5. Love Me, Love My Dog
    Love Me, Love My Dog
    Blog Entries
    after working in kennel environments even though they have the bordetella vaccination it's been known that dogs can get it...but it's really not an emergency or life threatening in the least. Keep calling and see if anyone cancels to maybe get their appt. Sorry your pupper is not feeling well and for a speedy recovery after the vet visit!

I got wifeys
    SOS WIFEY TO SNARPHBLAT, CHELS, SAMANTHA, & SOS MISTRESS TO SAMSET

6. Senior Member
    poor thing

7. Senior Member
    If she is just coughing your good. If she starts to get a snotty nose that is not clear, eyes etc. then she has gotten a secondary bacterial infection and DO NOT delay getting her into the vet then. If her immune system is compromised at all, you will be surprised how fast that morphs into full blown pneumonia.

Sad to say that about 70% of the dogs vaccinated with Bordetella for "kennel cough" (it's actually called Infectious Tracheal Bronchitis) still get it.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Almost any adult dog I've adopted from an animal shelter has had kennel cough. Its hard to watch, but Monday should be fine unless things seem to get much worse like the above poster mentioned.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    If she is just coughing your good. If she starts to get a snotty nose that is not clear, eyes etc. then she has gotten a secondary bacterial infection and DO NOT delay getting her into the vet then. If her immune system is compromised at all, you will be surprised how fast that morphs into full blown pneumonia.

Sad to say that about 70% of the dogs vaccinated with Bordetella for "kennel cough" (it's actually called Infectious Tracheal Bronchitis) still get it.
    Thank you SO much for the clarification. I was hoping you'd see this thread

I'm gonna continue to keep an eye on her. She's sleeping right now
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    Thank you SO much for the clarification. I was hoping you'd see this thread

I'm gonna continue to keep an eye on her. She's sleeping right now
    I was at work or I would have responded earlier..today is our 1/2 day.

Anyhow...she will be a little lethargic not surprising, and don't get her too wound up because she will hack even more with exercise. Just keep her calm and quiet, I know easier said than done sometimes.

Just make sure the phlegm she is coughing up is nothing but clear or "cream" colored. She will have a runny nose, so don't be shocked at that either, again make sure it's just clear or "cream" colored. Anything else is a secondary infection.

Also, take off her collar, the pressure from the collar rubbing on the trachea actually will send her into coughing spasms. If she hacks really bad, you can try a warm mist vaporizer or put her in the bathroom with a hot steamy shower going. Like you would treat the croup. Also those little Vicks wall plug in things work great if you have them. Keep her warm and out of drafts.

When you take her into the vet, more than likely she will get an antibiotic and either cough meds there or you will be told to get an OTC one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast