Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I need a Vets opinion!!

1. it's almost lake time. I love lake!
    it's almost lake time. I love lake!

Exclamation I need a Vets opinion!!

Advertisements
    Bella got Spayed friday morning. They told me everything went fine. She spent the night there and I picked her up sat. morning.

They gave me a sheet of everything they did, what to look for, what to not let her do etc. She is not on medication from the surgery

Sat. morning we came back home and she ate and drank normally. But she is acting weird.

If we are not laying on the couch or on my bed, she is on the floor. When I put her down on the floor to walk into another room or do something, she whimpers and runs around quickly to find a place to lay down. It is like she is scared of something and has to hide because everywhere she lays down, its more of a hiding spot. She never did this before.

She is eating and drinking regularly, but she hasn't pottied as much as she usually would. ie ate twice yesterday (sat) and did not poop. She only pooped this morning too. She is also sleeping a lot...pretty much only wakes up if she hears a noise or thinks im leaving the room.

The information sheet said that some dogs can act odd up to 24 hours after surgery and some can last 4 days. if her actions are something I should be concerned about to call the emergency number since my vet is not open.

Anyone has advice or insight??
  2. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Is your floor or the spot she is hiding hard wood or tile? She may be looking for a cool spot that adds relief to her site (Snikers did this), she could also be tender.

She may not have had anything in her tummy because not being allowed to eat pre and post op so the food you gave her had to process and it may be sore for her to push it out.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  3. it's almost lake time. I love lake!
    No it's just an apartment so its carpet (not very nice carpet might i add). She just has never done this at all. It looks like she is scared and sad.

I was thinking that she might be too sore, but I can't tell. Dang it, why cant dogs talk!
  4. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

She's recovering from major abdominal surgery. Her sleeping a lot is completely normal and good for her. She is probably whimpering and rushing to lay down because she is in pain. They gave me a couple of days of pain meds for my dogs after they were spayed, the fact she isn't on any, she is probably that much more uncomfortable.

If she is eating and drinking and going potty (even if it's not the same as usual) she is probably fine. It's all normal. I'm not a vet, but between my dogs and foster dogs I've delt with spay recoveries more than a dozen times.
  5. Senior Member
    Did she not get any form of medication? Normally they send home, especially for spay, pain killers and sometimes antibiotic too. Maybe she is just very uncomfortable
    If you are worried call the vet
  6. it's almost lake time. I love lake!
    Quote Originally Posted by miamoa2002 View Post
    Did she not get any form of medication? Normally they send home, especially for spay, pain killers and sometimes antibiotic too. Maybe she is just very uncomfortable
    If you are worried call the vet
    I thought it was weird she didn't come home with meds either. But I picked her up around 11 am sat, so I thought maybe they gave her pain med earlier that morning.

The vet opens at 7:30 am tomorrow, I am going to call and see what they think. Do you think I should push the issue of why they didn't give me medication?
  7. Senior Member
    I am kind of surprised they did not give her any pain meds to come home with, of course, that is usually the decision of the owner whether they want the additional meds or not so I would call them vet in the morning and get some. Alot of times the additional meds are $30 to $40 and are called Tramadol or Metacam etc. Look on your invoice and see if she was given anything at all for pain either via iv or injection.

As far as her not defecating , her stomach is very sore. She will go when she is ready. The muscles that she uses to defecate are the same ones they just cut through to get to her uterus.

Also, the sleeping is perfectly normal as well. You want her more "sedate" for the next 10-14 days so this is actually a good thing. The whimpering could be the pain or the bruising at the suture site and is pretty common too. But if she's not better tomorrow call the vet, she should not be 100% but she should not be in that much pain with out something to keep her comfortable.

Depending on how big she is you can give her a baby aspirin, that would help with some of the discomfort.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kade5 View Post
    I thought it was weird she didn't come home with meds either. But I picked her up around 11 am sat, so I thought maybe they gave her pain med earlier that morning.

The vet opens at 7:30 am tomorrow, I am going to call and see what they think. Do you think I should push the issue of why they didn't give me medication?
    I would ask why they didnt give it out, we normally gave out for 3 days and especially for spay´s
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kade5 View Post

It was offered as something we had to pay extra for, for my dogs.