Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving with cats?

1. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot

Moving with cats?

Advertisements
    How do you do it? I've only put them in the car 3 times in 5 yrs and each time was less then 20 minutes. I've gotta put them in the car for 18 hrs Do they need litter? Food? Water? Do they stay in a pet crate?

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post
    How do you do it? I've only put them in the car 3 times in 5 yrs and each time was less then 20 minutes. I've gotta put them in the car for 18 hrs Do they need litter? Food? Water? Do they stay in a pet crate?
    When I moved with my two cats it was a 12 hour trip. I left them in the crate while driving, but bought one of those disposable litter boxes for the overnight at the hotel. Best thing that I noticed was to not give them food or water while in the pen, and only at night when you stop do you want to offer them food, water, and a litter box. They sleep most of the way, and it keeps them less stressed. good luck with the move

3. Senior Member
    Get ready to hear A LOT of meowing..
    Good luck
  4. Wah Its called life idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnzie View Post
    When I moved with my two cats it was a 12 hour trip. I left them in the crate while driving, but bought one of those disposable litter boxes for the overnight at the hotel. Best thing that I noticed was to not give them food or water while in the pen, and only at night when you stop do you want to offer them food, water, and a litter box. They sleep most of the way, and it keeps them less stressed. good luck with the move
    We aren't stopping, going to do the drive in one day, so would they be fine still?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineyouandme View Post
    Get ready to hear A LOT of meowing..
    Good luck
    I'm taking the dog in the truck and he's taking the cats in the car. He lost the coin toss on the pets.

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post
    We aren't stopping, going to do the drive in one day, so would they be fine still?

I'm taking the dog in the truck and he's taking the cats in the car. He lost the coin toss on the pets.
    I would probably give them some water every 4-6 hours then, but might wanna hold off on the food. They should be perfect. You will hear a lot of meowing though, correction, HE will hear a lot of meowing

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We've done it straight through with our cat, he was fine. Take some "Rescue Remedy" and put it on their ears. It'll help calm their nerves, you can find it at GNC
  7. Senior Member
    I got one of those water bottles they use in rabbit cages. My cat figured it out pretty quickly and that way she always had access to water.

I stopped every few hours to let her potty (I had a disposable litter box) and eat a bit. But I kept her food pretty light so she wouldn't get car sick.

I kept her favorite blanket in the cage (It was a rather large cage)

You can ask your vet for some medication. I had one cat that hated the car so much we had to drug him so he'd sleep or else he would have anxiety attacks

8. Wah Its called life idiot
    Rescue Remedy? off to google.

9. Wah Its called life idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    I got one of those water bottles they use in rabbit cages. My cat figured it out pretty quickly and that way she always had access to water.

I stopped every few hours to let her potty (I had a disposable litter box) and eat a bit. But I kept her food pretty light so she wouldn't get car sick.

I kept her favorite blanket in the cage (It was a rather large cage)

You can ask your vet for some medication. I had one cat that hated the car so much we had to drug him so he'd sleep or else he would have anxiety attacks
    That's what we're doing to our dog. I've gotta drug him up otherwise he'll puke and shit everywhere and won't stop turning in circles in his crate

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    If you take a towel and cover their cage, then point the front where they can just see the back of the seat or something - they dont' meow. Vegas HATES driving in the car and when I moved to StL (a 16 hour trip from my hometown) I tried this and I heard maybe three meows the whole trip.

I stopped every 4-6 hours and gave her food and water and snacks. I used a towel in the bottom and she peed on that and I'd take it out and change it. It worked.

The vet also said I could give her Dramamine.
    Yeah. She hated it but it worked.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast