Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flea and Tick medication warning!!!

1. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!

Exclamation Flea and Tick medication warning!!!

Advertisements
    http://www.pawnation.com/2009/04/20/...44-000-pets%2F
    According to a new (scary) report from the Environmental Protection Agency, topical and on-spot flea and tick medications injured 44,000 pets last year.

The study looked at EPA-registered pet products, commonly found at drug stores or on supermarket shelves in 2008. Sprays, collars, and shampoos – anything topical or on-spot to treat ticks and fleas - were included.

Most of the potential incident reports involved spot-on treatments, like the ones sold in tubes or vials and used on a specific part of your pet's body. Reactions included rashes, seizures, and, in some cases, death.

To play it safe, you may want to skip the grocery aisle for your flea and tick products. "Stick with a product you're getting from a veterinarian," advises Dr. Matthew Cooper. Side effects caused by over-the-counter medications don't come as a surprise to veterinarians, who often urge pet owners to stick with doctor-recommended products.

To see if you've been using one of the EPA-products in question, look at the EPA Registration Number on the label and check its web site. The seven products, which pet owners can identify using the label, accounted for about 80 percent of the incidents, the agency said.The EPA is now boosting scrutiny of on-spot flea and tick treatments. In the meantime, here are some of their safety tips:

- Carefully read and follow the product label
    - Use flea and tick control products only on the animal specified ─ for example, dog products for dogs only
    - Only apply the amount indicated for the size of the animal being treated
    - Pay attention to the age restrictions
    - Monitor your pet for side effects
    - If your pet has an adverse reaction call your vet immediately

For more information check with the National Pesticide Information Center.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health...k-control.html

Increased Scrutiny of Flea and Tick Control Products for Pets
    Resources

* Advisory: Increased Scrutiny of Flea and Tick Control Products for Pets
    * Taking care of fleas and ticks on your pet

Due to a recent sharp increase in the number of incidents being reported from the use of spot-on pesticide products for flea and tick control for pets, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is intensifying its evaluation of whether further restrictions on the use of these products are necessary to better protect pets.

Incidents with flea and tick products can involve the use of spot-on treatments, sprays, collars and shampoos. However, the majority of the potential incidents reported to EPA are related to flea and tick treatments with EPA-registered spot-on products. Spot-on products are generally sold in tubes or vials and are applied to one or more localized areas on the body of the pet, such as in between the shoulders or in a stripe along the back.

EPA-registered spot-on, topically applied flea and tick products have an EPA Registration Number on the label (look for EPA Reg. No. XXX-XX).
    Incident report summary

Adverse reactions reported from the spot-on products range from mild effects such as skin irritation to more serious effects such as seizures and in some cases death. Over 44,000 potential incidents associated with registered spot-on products were reported to EPA in 2008. Pesticide registrants are required by law to submit information to EPA on adverse effects resulting from the use of any registered pesticide. The seven products in the table below represent about 80% of that total.

In reviewing the list of seven products, please note the following:

* This information is subject to revision as new information becomes available;
    * This information does not account for the market share of these products;
    * This information does not reflect the severity of incidents;
    * This information does not reflect potential misuse of the products; and
    * If incidents are not reported by pet owners or registrants, this may affect the potential accuracy of this list.

In addition, a cause and effect relationship between these products and any individual adverse reaction or incident has not been confirmed. EPA is carefully evaluating all available data, including incident data, to help identify and if necessary, take prompt regulatory action to address risks. By collecting, compiling, and reviewing the incident data, EPA is able to make better decisions to reduce risks and target other regulatory activities.

For some of these products, the same product is distributed by another company under an agreement with the primary registrant. EPA requires that the label for the distributor product be identical to that of the primary product (in terms of uses of the product, precautions, etc.). Distributor products can be identified by having a three-part EPA registration number instead of a two-part number.
  2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

That's why I wont use the crap they sell at Walmart We use K9 Advantix and have never had a problem with our dogs at all.
  3. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    That's why I wont use the crap they sell at Walmart We use K9 Advantix and have never had a problem with our dogs at all.
    Yeah and honestly I have used Frontline so that was crazy seeing there product on the list.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Thats the one I would never ever use...We had three dogs at a clinic i worked at have TERRIBLE burns and the company had to pay their vet bills.

I dont use anything. I use an herbal flush thing a couple times a year!
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  5. I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    Blog Entries
    My Grammie used something from Walmart on her cat once and he ended up super sick, poor guy! Hopefully more people see this before they try something new.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    Thats the one I would never ever use...We had three dogs at a clinic i worked at have TERRIBLE burns and the company had to pay their vet bills.

I dont use anything. I use an herbal flush thing a couple times a year!
    Totally agree. And Advantix IS on the EPA list that is being investigated, it's not just the "walmart" type ones.
    My own dog was burned badly by advantix, and when I took him in, the vet said it was not the first time he had seen that by advantix.

ETA: link
    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health...k-control.html

7. Am
    We only use stuff recommended by our vet.

Lately, it's been Comfortis. A chewable (non-topical), monthly pill. I it because it doesn't wash off if he gets wet and other dogs can accidentally lick it.
  8. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    I get our meds from my vet and my vet only. So far, so good.

9. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    We go only to the vet on base for meds.
  10. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaHokie View Post
    We only use stuff recommended by our vet.

Lately, it's been Comfortis. A chewable (non-topical), monthly pill. I it because it doesn't wash off if he gets wet and other dogs can accidentally lick it.
    Hmm haven't heard of that one we should try it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast